Home > Regular Features > Monday Message Board

Monday Message Board

June 30th, 2003

It’s time for the regular Monday Message Board when you have your chance to have your say on any topic whatsoever (as always, civilised discussion and no coarse language, please).

I’d be interested if any readers wanted to say something about where and why they read this blog.

Categories: Regular Features Tags:
  1. June 30th, 2003 at 14:37 | #1

G’day John,

Why aren’t all these Greencuts injecting life into the US economy? Does this cutting not motivate non-saving at best and more debt / larger asset bubble at worst? Is the lower greenback showing signs of raising US profitability and capacity utilisation yet? Is it more likely to hit non-US economies who depend on the US maw for life? Is deflation a real threat? Or is debt (national, corporate and residential) the real biggy?

2. June 30th, 2003 at 15:12 | #2

Go and do the political quiz at Yobbo’s place.

3. Geoff Honnor
    June 30th, 2003 at 17:43 | #3

“I’m due for drinkies with a pack of corduroys next week, and it’s important I have erudite but casually delivered answers to these questions (glib pessimism gets me some way, of course, but it’s important to strike a new note every now and then).”

No Rob, you’re supposed to maintain an impressed silence while you listen attentively to their casually delivered erudition. That’s how you get invited back.

John, I thought reading your Blog was compulsory?

4. cs
    June 30th, 2003 at 17:49 | #4

Ah, so now we find out that we didn’t really have to read it after all?

5. June 30th, 2003 at 19:42 | #5

I usually read this blog on the train on the way to work. Well, I used to until the telephone extension cord reached its limit and the lap-top got smashed against the train door.

Mainly I read it for the insightful comments threads.

6. June 30th, 2003 at 21:11 | #6

I read this weblog primarily to see if I can master the correct spelling of your last name.

7. h
    June 30th, 2003 at 23:29 | #7

It’s good to see our intelligentsia, exercise their freedom of speech. So many of them are silent and passive in their public life. Many of them are so disciplined that it’s unusual to see one of them speak his mind freely and openly.

8. cs
    July 1st, 2003 at 00:27 | #8

Cheers to that h.

9. s robertson
    July 1st, 2003 at 01:19 | #9

read & post from small rural SA hamlet. born San Fran USA and was young as the beatniks were fading out – and hippies on the rise. Coffee Gallary in North Beach – could sit, watch, listen and sometimes participate for the price of a coffee. Nuthin like that here – and having missed ‘student days’ in Australia – sortof missed out on those associations. Last 5 years or so carried responsibility as a “carer” – not much energy left for ‘thinking’ nor opportunity for communication. Now – time is my own. Virtual space a far cry from North Beach – but at least ideas zap about the place.

Interest in “economics” as the dominant social paradigm – and humanistic values as my own social paradigm. The Professor professes humanitarian values and possess expertise in ‘economics’. Hence, this site – plus the fact that the day I got connected to the net, he has a spot on the 7:30 Report. Introduced, if I recall correctly, as a ‘leftist’ – whoopee! Bingo!

Re why the Greencuts ain’t working – well, money doesn’t solve everything. what I reckon – and I confess to seeing the whole shebang from a somewhat surrealist perspective is that: corporate sector on the scale of USA needs greenfields, it’s a dragon that only grows on a diet of virgins. without them, it turns cannibal. seems to me Japan hit the same wall at the peak of its economic success – people who needed their gear couldn’t afford to buy it and then (if I remember rightly) when they approached US about increasing their market share in States, refused. There may well be something flawed about the capitalist credo that if you stop growing you’re dead in the water. If cancer cells could think, they’d probably credit the logic. But every other natural entity (as distinct from “unnatural persons”) grows until maturity, then replicates – produces the ‘young’ who then perform the requisite maintenance functions as they mature. Not so much ‘growth’, as continuous extension/continuity through time.
    The US style capitalist system is unsustainable simply as basis for economic practice. Because it works a little like a heat engine, resources are systematically drawn off and without adequate redistribution the engine will run out of fuel – which will lead to real problems with the populace, which will lead to accummulated resources being used to take over every other domain of public administration, and finally – the tyrant. Call it a prediction, though the lines of that emergent reality are becoming clear in the present. When I was young, I made an independent study of the Holocaust. Reading everything I could find in the Library about the rise of that terrible power – Germany under Hitler. One of the most common statements of both non-Jewish and Jewish people who lived through those times was that despite the rising levels of persecution of the Jewish people, through to the Final Solution – most (and this includes the Jewish themselves) simply could not believe it was happening, that it was anything but something like a temporary irregularity. Why? Perhaps because previously Germany had reason to pride themselves on their highly developed culture – civilised culture. But …somehow, that culture went clinically insane. Which reminds me of President Bush – there’s something a bit unsettling about the glint in his eye and the really big gun that he is front man for. Whoopee! Cowboys and Indians!

But even if we can see it coming,can read the signs – like the Germans, there may not be a lot we can do about it, or – like the Jews – there may be no place to go.

I visit this site because it helps to keep me focused on these concerns and thinking about scenerios about what might be a viable response. A student of history – indeed, of evolution – I see no reason why the human species can’t be virtually immortal if it can find a way to manage the ‘alpha male’ life drives. Sorry – just can’t get those horrible images of chimps tearing apart the ‘traitor’ chimp. We share an awful lot of genes with the chimps.

10. July 1st, 2003 at 02:05 | #10

I read and (occasionally) post during free moments at my job in New York City. Why? I got interested in finance sometime last year and decided, instead of doing anything about that interest, to follow blogs of a few people who seem to know about it and pick up what I can by osmosis. (No need to tell me this doesn’t work, I figured that out already) — I found your opinions and those of your commenters interesting enough that I continued to read even after figuring out my strategy would not work. I believe I found my way over here originally from Brad DeLong’s site, or perhaps that of Daniel Davies.

11. July 1st, 2003 at 02:06 | #11

Oh and, I’m happy to cast my voice in as seconding what “h” said.

12. July 1st, 2003 at 10:29 | #12

Unfortunately I currently read this blog from the limited-hours computer lab at the dorm I’m in for the summer. That should correct itself once I return to Worcester (MA). I read it in part because I’m an Ozophile, and in (larger) part for the more pedestrian reason that it’s got interesting things to say.

13. James Farrell
    July 1st, 2003 at 11:44 | #13

Many if not a majority of blogs essentially preach to the converted, aiming only to draw readers into an orgy of sneering and name-calling that can only blunt their critical faculties. By contrast, apart from the quality of the posts here, this site encourages genuinely open-minded discussion, and fosters unconditional respect amongst participants from many points of view. I’m delighted John has attracted some regular US readers. Any other countries?

14. July 1st, 2003 at 20:43 | #14

“Many if not a majority of blogs essentially preach to the converted, aiming only to draw readers into an orgy of sneering and name-calling that can only blunt their critical faculties”

That’s bad is it??