Home > Regular Features > Monday Message Board

Monday Message Board

August 11th, 2003

There’s been lots of lively discussion on a range of topics during the week. I’m particularly pleased to see old posts like the one on economic rationalism being opened up to new debate.

Now it’s time for your comments on any topic (civilised discussion and no coarse language, please).

Categories: Regular Features Tags:
  1. Homer Paxton
    August 11th, 2003 at 10:59 | #1

I am intrigued that Blogistan is in the main almost completely inhabited by social liberals.
    Why is this so and why are bloggers so completely different to Australia as a whole in this regard?

( I am not saying Australians are solidly social conservatives by the way.)

2. August 11th, 2003 at 12:26 | #2

Maybe there is a correlation between being socially conservative and technologically conservative? Kind of opposite to say the situation with libertarians and blogging.

3. Homer Paxton
    August 11th, 2003 at 13:42 | #3

I’m afraid the ABS doesn’t bear that out however merely because someone is technologically ‘liberal’ doesn’t mean they will blog!

4. Steve Edwards
    August 11th, 2003 at 15:10 | #4

I thought I was fairly conservative, Homer. Jon Ray decidedly so. Um. Yeah, you might be right.

5. John
    August 11th, 2003 at 15:13 | #5

Homer, it might sharpen things up if you gave an example of a specific socially conservative viewpoint that is underrepresented among Ozploggers relative to
    (i) the general population
    (ii) university graduates
    I’m using (ii) as a rough proxy for the group likely to be ploggers – I get the impression 90 per cent are graduates or current students vs a bit over 10 per cent for the population as a whole.

6. August 11th, 2003 at 15:21 | #6

Even Jon Ray tends libertarian on a few issues. Kev Gillett is probably closer to a true conservative.

As an aside, to the best of my knowledge, Homer was the most socially conservative scorer on the political quiz on my site. (Jon Ray didn’t take the test though).

7. August 11th, 2003 at 23:54 | #7

On the one hand there is a very human tendency to seek out evidence that supports one’s own position; you lot are probably discounting the existence of the likes of me.

On the other hand you lot are tending to act as a sort of ground cover plant, tending to crowd out the likes of me (few with my disposition are as bloody minded and willing to persevere as I am).

Evidence? Do a search for Prodos Marinakis on his Ayn Randish “Celebrate Capitalism” site. He is a reformed and somewhat enthusiastic ex-communist. Yet he exists, despite any inadvertent selection of evidence.

8. Homer Paxton
    August 12th, 2003 at 10:59 | #8

A social conservative would oppose abortion in most but not all cases and would oppose gay marriages are two examples.