Home > Life in General > Le jour de gloire

Le jour de gloire

September 21st, 2003

Another great night last night, with the stirring tune of La Marseillaise announcing a great win for the Lions. I’m sure all right-thinking people, even Swans supporters, will join me in hoping for victory over Collingwood next week.

Categories: Life in General Tags:
  1. September 21st, 2003 at 21:24 | #1

Hmmmph…

2. September 21st, 2003 at 22:38 | #2

i forsee another “I wuz wrong” shell being quietly slid into the breech. I wonder whose name is on it.

3. Emmanuel
    September 22nd, 2003 at 02:16 | #3

I sure don’t know what you’re writing about, or why the Marseillaise is being played down under one month too early…
    …but it is still LE jour de gloire.

JQ: Fixed, thanks

4. Dave Ricardo
    September 22nd, 2003 at 07:09 | #4

What’s happening in a month? Is Chirac visting us or so something? Quelle Horreur!

5. Jim
    September 22nd, 2003 at 08:46 | #5

Amen.

6. Mark
    September 22nd, 2003 at 08:50 | #6

I think the reference to hearing the Marseillaise in a month’s time is a faint hope that France will win the Rugby World Cup. I’m tipping a NZ/England final.

I can understand Emmanuel’s confusion. For the benefit of international readers, the Brisbane Lions are a football club in the Australian Football League (Aussie Rules), whose team song uses the tune of the Marseillaise. I’m definitely going for the Lions. As a Carlton supporter I barrack for the Blues and anyone playing against Collingwood.

7. Emmanuel
    September 22nd, 2003 at 09:10 | #7

Thank you Mark for the explanation. I’m wondering how it went a few months ago when Lions fans were singing a Gallic tune in the midst of all the casual French bashing. Did they temporarily switch to a “Freedom anthem”?
    And yes, I was referring to the Rugby World Cup, although “two months too early” would have been more appropriate (finals in Sidney on November 22nd).

8. Dave Ricardo
    September 22nd, 2003 at 10:34 | #8

“I’m wondering how it went a few months ago when Lions fans were singing a Gallic tune in the midst of all the casual French bashing. Did they temporarily switch to a “Freedom anthem”?”

Emmanuel, I think you might be confusing us with a different country; one that lies between Canada and Mexico.

As for the Rugby World Cup, there’s about as much chance of France winning as there is of a Boredeux wine being served at a White House dinner.

9. Dave Ricardo
    September 22nd, 2003 at 10:36 | #9

… Bordeaux …

10. Jim Birch
    September 22nd, 2003 at 15:16 | #10

“…It’s a source of bemusement and embarrassment that, because of the AFL’s wierd decision to reserve ‘Advance Australia Fair’ for what they deem to be “special occasions”, the French National Anthem is played more often at AFL games than Australia’s.

For example, this year ‘Advance Australia Fair’ will be played – according to my calculations – 18 times at AFL matches, while ‘The Marseillaise’, courtesy of the Lions, will certainly be played 40 times and possibly as many as 43.”

from a post on dockerland.com:

11. Ron Mead
    September 22nd, 2003 at 18:22 | #11

Mark, you should also perhaps explain that the AFL Grand Final is actually what’s known in Aussie-speak as a local derby. There was a time when the Maroons meant Fitzroy and not Queensland. I still can’t really accept that South Melbourne is Sydney and Fitzroy is Brisbane. If the Lions win on Saturday there’ll be immense celebrations at Brunswick Street celebrating the back-to-back-to-back flags.

12. September 23rd, 2003 at 22:02 | #12

You bet your arse there will be Ron!
    I’ll be there on Sunday morn win or lose; will you?
    Carn the BrisRoys!

13. September 24th, 2003 at 11:11 | #13

No decent Swans supporter will be caught dead wishing Collingwood well. Carn the Lions!