Home > Metablogging > "John Quiggin" wins

"John Quiggin" wins

October 18th, 2003

The votes are in (53 of them, anyway) and the result is a resounding endorsement of the status quo. From the Australian daytime voting, it looked as if we might have to go to preferences, but a late surge from Western hemisphere voters produced an outright majority in favour of keeping “John Quiggin” as the name for this blog. The runner-up was “Quog” which was my least-favoured choice and attracted some negative comments from others.

This was interesting and I might try it again some time, just for fun.

Categories: Metablogging Tags:
  1. Me No No
    October 18th, 2003 at 12:33 | #1

Top result. Common sense prevailed. However, being an Ozblogger, voting should have been compulsory.

“We decide who names our blogs, and the circumstances in which we do so.”

2. October 18th, 2003 at 15:01 | #2

damned! I still think my suggestion of QED (Quiggin erat demonstrandum) was the top choice, I guess we need to elect a new set of voters:)

3. Geoff Honnor
    October 18th, 2003 at 18:54 | #3

In an ever-changing world, some stability is….nice.

4. James Farrell
    October 18th, 2003 at 23:31 | #4

Jason, QED was my second choice if it’s any consolation. The snag was that it would have scared away a lot of people who aren’t interested in logical arguments. This would be a pity because they provide much comic relief.

5. cs
    October 19th, 2003 at 01:24 | #5

Democracy never works when everyone wants to get involved …

… I also went for QED … but how about a complete rethink on the options … haven’t you got any favourite book or album titles or extract from some pithy Keynes’ quote hanging around?

6. Me No No
    October 19th, 2003 at 13:06 | #6

“Long run dead”

7. James Farrell
    October 19th, 2003 at 22:24 | #7

‘Soaring Eagle’ would be the one, but it’s been used.

8. Mark
    October 20th, 2003 at 09:35 | #8

James, when you say

“This would be a pity because they provide much comic relief”

are you saying “logical arguments” provide comic relief, or that the comedy comes from the people who aren’t interested in them?

9. Homer Paxton
    October 20th, 2003 at 10:33 | #9

How refreshing to see conservatism win in this contest for a leftwing blogsite!

10. Ed
    October 21st, 2003 at 17:54 | #10

Thank heavens QED didn’t win! While ironic in a couple of ways (there is of course rarely a QED solution to an issue in political economy; the subtext, Quiggin EDucational services; and maybe others that I’m too dim to perceive), it’s a bit too clever and perhaps unwelcoming to the more ordinary run of reader like me. QED also has a suggestion of finality about it that discussions here don’t often achieve; they tend to peter out and revive in cycles.