Home > Metablogging > Welcome !

Welcome !

February 19th, 2004

My long-threatened change of hosts has finally come to pass. This is an occasion for lots of thanks. First, to Rob Corr who helped me make the move from Blogger to Movable Type, set me up on mentalspace and gave lots of technical support along the way. Second to everyone associated with mentalspace.ranters.net – I’ve enjoyed your company. And last but not least to Brad Choate, author, among many other things, of the marvellous Textile plugin for MT, who’s now doing my hosting, and guided me carefully through the process of transferring the blog.

In the process, I’ve managed to recover a large number of posts lost in the great database disaster . There’s still a gap of a couple of months (maybe I was hanging out with GWB in the Air Force Reserve), but I have hopes of restoring the entire blog in due course.

Please update bookmarks, links and so on.

Categories: Metablogging Tags:
  1. February 19th, 2004 at 18:24 | #1

Testing.

This new one is like the old one, in that it gives my old browser spurious alert messages everywhere I navigate, and it doesn’t wrap around when I post (that’s why some of my posts are a little disjointed).

Brad De Long’s site is similar but worse, since it’s far slower loading (no doubt slowed by handling those spurious alerts) and whenever I try to post it doesn’t accept it, and even sometimes crashes my browser. That’s mainly what I’m testing for, to see if your new site is still accessible.

2. February 19th, 2004 at 19:17 | #2

Is Brad Choate doing anything to help you with spam comments? Cos you’re riddled with the stuff.

3. February 19th, 2004 at 19:27 | #3

Updated and once again going forward. Great splash in the SMH today John.

4. James Farrell
    February 19th, 2004 at 20:12 | #4

It seems that the comments threads are all starting afresh, creating a parallel universe, an experimental blogologist’s paradise… Will the flow of ideas revert to some deterministic path, or follow a random walk?

5. February 19th, 2004 at 20:32 | #5

oh, those are SPAM.
    I just thought the right had a gift for surrealism.

green plastic coffee

6. February 19th, 2004 at 22:23 | #6

John, if you need any help (including installing MT-Blacklist) let me know.

7. John Quiggin
    February 19th, 2004 at 23:24 | #7

I’ve found manual IP banning to work OK, but I thought I would have a day or so before they found me in which to copy over my banned list. It’s done now, so with any luck this particular louse should be out of my hair.

8. James Farrell
    February 20th, 2004 at 08:59 | #8

Actually, some of the spam is undiscovered art: for example, Simona’s contribution to the Monday Message Board. If Max Harris were alive I’d send it to him without hesitation.

9. Tom N.
    February 20th, 2004 at 11:44 | #9

While it is possible to call up old posts by John using the search function, I cannot see how to access the comments threads associated with them. Is it possible to do this, or have they all been lost?

10. John Quiggin
    February 20th, 2004 at 12:23 | #10

Tom, I hoping to salvage them – there was a lot of very useful material including your own contributions. Stay tuned!