Home > Books and culture > False advertising

False advertising

March 17th, 2004

I bought one of those CDs that promises “explicit language”, but it was even harder to understand than usual. All I could make out was a lot of swearing. Can I take this to the ACCC?

Categories: Books and culture Tags:
  1. March 17th, 2004 at 10:45 | #1

Don’t think the answer’s with the ACCC. Cherchez le ADHD. Anyhow I think music’s been going downhill ever since the Weavers split up and Pete Seeger went solo.

2. March 17th, 2004 at 11:04 | #2

Albie Johns has STILL got beans in his ears.. Sedge will understand.

3. March 17th, 2004 at 11:12 | #3

Moving right into Hootenanny country there me old china.

(Sorry Mr. Q. We’ll return your comments box to you as soon as possible.)

4. March 17th, 2004 at 11:13 | #4

sorry sedge – its actually Albie Jay.. the wonders of google.

5. John Quiggin
    March 17th, 2004 at 12:01 | #5

It was Dylan going electric that was the real catastrophe. But at least you could still hear the words, even if the meaning was deliberately obscure.

6. March 17th, 2004 at 12:18 | #6

I knew that Mr. T. but I’m in a forgiving frame of mind this morning. (Well, with the exception of beanz in his earz Downer.)

Mr.Q. I went to his first electric concert in Oz. (Myer Music Bowl if I recollect correctly.) I didn’t mind it, a shock but didn’t scare this horse too much. What I did mind was his concert a few years ago at the Palais where he was abysmal. Self indulgent and non engaged. (A stance that the local back up musos also had to deal with.) My hero had a few toes of clay that night. Where have all my icons gone? Long time passing.

Oh well, I’ll always have Paris … and her sister with a bit of luck.

7. March 17th, 2004 at 12:52 | #7

Time for you guys to give Ani Difranco a listen…

She supported bob dylan on the his last oz tour, she pronounciates well and is a very politically motivated, mature folk singer

8. March 17th, 2004 at 13:36 | #8

It was Dylan going electric that was the real catastrophe.

Let me quickly seize this opportunity to declare John Quiggin completely and absolutely and utterly and sadly and terribly and hopelessly and unforgivably wrong on something, at last.

9. March 17th, 2004 at 13:53 | #9

cs outs himself as a tim troll!

(Though more swearing and invective would be in order if you’re going to cut the mustard.)

10. March 17th, 2004 at 14:06 | #10

Why the hell would you want to understand the words anyway? 99% of rock lyrics aren’t worth understanding.

11. March 17th, 2004 at 14:54 | #11

Sorry Sedge … let me add “imho”

12. James Farrell
    March 17th, 2004 at 15:23 | #12

“…John Quiggin completely and absolutely and utterly and sadly and terribly and hopelessly and unforgivably wrong on something…”

…was, in fact, back in October, with this. It still irks me that the telling refutation that appeared in the comments box, is lost.

13. March 17th, 2004 at 15:39 | #13

James, you neglected to include my addendum to that quote.

14. John Quiggin
    March 17th, 2004 at 15:44 | #14

The lost comments will be restored one day, I promise.

15. March 17th, 2004 at 17:42 | #15

To all you nostalgia fiends, I have only one answer – Senor (Tales of Yankee Power).

I have that double CD of his English concerts where he made the transition and I love it. The irony is very clear, since his versions of the acoustic songs were fantastic and the electric ones were pretty horrible. But he did a wonderful thing to rock and roll.

How about Angelina.. or Blind Willie McTell (but that takes us back to acoustic..)