Home > Metablogging > Blogroll update

Blogroll update

March 27th, 2004

I’ve been putting off updating my blogroll, but I’ve finally had a first go at the task. I’ve finally accepted that the “hiatus” of some of my favorite sites is permanent, and removed them. I also deleted a few blogs that I can no longer be bothered with, and updated lots of broken links. I’ve added a number of new ones, but I’ve been fairly lazy about this, so I’m inviting anyone (particularly in Oz/NZ) who thinks a link would make sense to email me. In addition, if anyone reading this still has links to my old blog(s), this is the time to update them.

Categories: Metablogging Tags:
  1. PK
    March 27th, 2004 at 12:10 | #1

You could add baldmonkey.net to your satirical ones.

Have you removed T Blair or was he never on there?

2. March 27th, 2004 at 12:42 | #2

I’d suggest Helen Smart’s Blogger on a Cast Iron Balcony.

3. John Quiggin
    March 27th, 2004 at 12:45 | #3

I already have a link to Helen, Rob. She’s under “Cultural and Satirical”- do you think this is a misclassification?

As for TB, you’re right, PK – he’s in the “can no longer be bothered with” category.

4. March 27th, 2004 at 15:28 | #4

Ah, so you do!

I think it probably is a misclassification. Her last ten posts were about:

1. Access to disabled aid
    2. Forestry in Tasmania
    3. Gender balance in teaching
    4. Vegie patches
    5. Radio National’s future
    6. Margo Kingston
    7. Higher education
    8. The Redfern situation
    9. A roundup of some blogs
    10. Work and family balance

I reckon that qualifies her for inclusion in the political blogs category.

5. March 27th, 2004 at 15:29 | #5

Unfortunately, TB continues to be bothered with you

6. John Quiggin
    March 27th, 2004 at 17:31 | #6

TB really seems to have got a bad case of twisted knickers about me , and quite suddenly. Until a couple of weeks ago, we’d got on fairly well, given the difference in views and approaches.

Talk about columnists in danger of losing their slots strikes me as a Freudian slip, so maybe that’s the explanation.

7. March 27th, 2004 at 17:39 | #7

No blogroll is complete without a link to the Governor General.

8. March 27th, 2004 at 18:21 | #8

cool thanks for updating my link…

and having jason’s new one at my home…

keep up the good work…

…tom

9. March 27th, 2004 at 19:12 | #9

woo hoo! we haven’t been culled! :)

we haven’t been voted out of the blogo-island. Maybe we should introduce a ‘Bloggers Idol’?

10. March 27th, 2004 at 19:28 | #10

It’s true, John, that up until recently we got along pretty well — or at least genially ignored each other. But a few weeks ago, while searching Google for an unrelated item, I came across something from your archives that was disgraceful.

It completely changed my opinion of you. And, no, I’m not going to tell you what it was (except to say it wasn’t about me) because I don’t want any further notice drawn to it.

11. March 27th, 2004 at 19:38 | #11

Nice one Tim. “I saw something that made me dislike you, but I’m not telling you what it is. Nah nah na nah nah.”

12. PK
    March 27th, 2004 at 21:31 | #12

Tim

You obviously haven’t seen pictures of John in his Karate gear or you wouldn’t be so up-front.

13. March 27th, 2004 at 22:11 | #13

Dear Mr Blair,
    Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?

14. John Quiggin
    March 27th, 2004 at 22:41 | #14

Checking back, it seems likely that Tim is referring to this and other pieces from 2002 attacking Mark Steyn, whom Tim admires and I do not.

I haven’t changed my opinion of Steyn. However, I’m less inclined to engage in flamewars than I was in my early months of blogging and I haven’t mentioned Steyn (except for a single point on which I agreed with him) for well over a year. Given the number of buckets Steyn (and, for that matter, Tim) tipped on all manner of people in that time, I think it’s a bit rich to come across as shocked that he should get a bit of his own back.

15. March 28th, 2004 at 15:40 | #15

Surely, that couldn’t be it John. Your article is relatively harmless given the sort of stuff that gets thrown around the blogosphere.

It occurs to me that the Australian blogosphere is evolving in some interesting ways. This is just a first thought on the issue (so please feel free to trash the idea) but seasoned political bloggers and blog-watchers are tending away from Tim Blair – while part-timers and one-blog-only type people are still there in force.

16. John Quiggin
    March 28th, 2004 at 20:02 | #16

John H, I certainly didn’t think it was out of the ordinary for blogging. Perhaps it was something else and Blair got the wrong end of the stick, as he did a week or so ago. In any case, I don’t choose to pursue the matter any more.

As you say, he has his audience and I have mine. I’m certainly happier with a small but thoughtful, and frequently critical. group of readers than I would be with a mindless cheersquad.

That said, I’d prefer to move on.

17. March 28th, 2004 at 21:14 | #17

Honoured by the choice, and the company. Thanks.

18. daarons
    March 29th, 2004 at 09:37 | #18

Correct me if I am wrong, but did Tim Blair just admit, ney boast that he went for John Quiggin because he read something he didn’t like that John wrote a couple of years ago on a different subject.

How immature.

Surely appropriate adult behaviour is to argue point, rather than going the man. It calls into question all his other writings.

19. daarons
    March 29th, 2004 at 09:37 | #19

How immature.

20. March 29th, 2004 at 14:09 | #20

If you are looking for Australian blogs and you don’t mind a self-reference, you could add mine:

It’s called The Julian Calendar and it covers a range of topics: some politics, some religion, some science. You cited it once on the Flynn Effect, under its earlier name (Aranda Blog).

Julian

21. March 29th, 2004 at 14:30 | #21

Thanks very much, John (and Rob for the recommendation.) Here on the Balcony we are nothing if not eclectic. We don’t mind the political-political, but as nonprofessionals we like to investigate the personal-political.