Home > Books and culture > What I'm reading

What I'm reading

April 26th, 2004

As a 19th century bishop is supposed to have said, there’s no better way to spend Sunday afternoon than curled up in bed with a good Trollope. I’ve just been given a beautiful Folio edition of the Barchester novels and am rereading them, beginning with The Warden which, despite some obvious defects, is probably my favourite.

Categories: Books and culture Tags:
  1. Don Wigan
    April 26th, 2004 at 16:32 | #1

Trollope was one of the first writers I took on during a literate phase in the late 60s (I had a thing about 19th century novels at the time).

They were the glory days of the expanded Waverley Library (taking over a bowling alley in Bondi Junction – could anybody imagine that occurring in the current Dark Ages?)

My first was Barchester Towers – a great yarn. In chronology order, you’ve probably started at the right place with The Warden. The whole Barchester (or sometimes referred to as Barset) series are well worth a read – beautifully reasoned and argued. They really make the point that there’s much ambivulance in all political stances and the right choice is not always easy.

The Comedy provided by Mrs Proudie and Archbishop Grantly is unforgettable.

Happy reading!

2. Don Wigan
    April 26th, 2004 at 16:32 | #2

The Comedy provided by Mrs Proudie and Archbishop Grantly is unforgettable.

Happy reading!

3. Don Wigan
    April 26th, 2004 at 18:35 | #3

Whoops. That should’ve read Archdeacon Grantly, not Archbishop. One of the points of the whole Barchester series was that Dr Grantly never made it to bishop.

4. April 26th, 2004 at 20:28 | #4

I’m afraid I tend to like my 19th century literature better on film than in print, so while I’ve not read the Barchester books (though I do have a few other Trollopes, in the Folio editions as well), I did see a TV production of them once and was quite interested in that. Yes, I am a philistine.

5. Homer Paxton
    April 27th, 2004 at 14:34 | #5

James,
    I hope you realise that thew philistines were a highly cultural race!

Trollope really didn’t like the evangelical camp of the Cof E.

6. Syd Webb
    May 1st, 2004 at 22:40 | #6

If I recall correctly, it was former British PM Harold ‘Super Mac’ Macmillan who slyly noted his liking for curling up with a good Trollope.