Home > Books and culture, Life in General, Regular Features > What I'm reading and doing

What I'm reading and doing

May 23rd, 2004

I’ve spent most of the weekend at our annual karate training camp. As a result, I’m both stiff and bruised, but still, a good time was had by all. The camp was at Tallebudgera, one of the most pleasant places on the Gold Coast. We stayed at the Recreation Centre there, which has been extensively, and expensively, upgraded since last year. The 1950s bunkrooms are gone. The new ones are much brighter and airier, and include their own bathrooms as well as what appeared to be Internet ports, though I didn’t have any capacity to check on this. The other main essential has been dealt with, as the centre now has a cafe. The high point of the weekend, after some rugged training on the beach was to walk past a tree full of rainbow lorikeets – I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many so close.

Although most of the non-training time was spent sleeping, I managed to get a bit of reading done, finishing Gil Merom’s book on democracies and small wars (on which more soon), Tiffin and Gittins How Australia Compares and Stephen Bell’s The Money Mandarins

, certain to be the standard work on the Reserve Bank for years to come.

1. rdb
    May 23rd, 2004 at 19:29 | #1

Haven’t you been to Currumbin Sanctuary when they’re fed? Up close and personal.

2. Harry Clarke
    May 23rd, 2004 at 21:48 | #2

You are a fast reader John. I’am still getting through the weekend papers!

I often enjoy reading Gittins. He’s a good journo who gets a lot of sense into a few column inches. I’am interested in your view of his jointly-authored book.

3. James Farrell
    May 24th, 2004 at 11:21 | #3

Tallebudgera Creek and Burleigh Head are the nicest places on the Gold Coast.

4. James Farrell
    May 24th, 2004 at 12:24 | #4

Jack:

I know what you don’t like. You don’t like foot binding, female circumcision, honour killings, Serbians and Croatians brawling at soccer matches, drive-by shootings in pursuit of ancient feuds, and boys in baseball caps cheering Bin Laden. Well, nor does anybody else reading this blog, as you are well aware.

But the naïve, do-gooder, PoMo, PC, multiculturalist ideologue responsible for all these phenomena is a figment of your imagination. Like Paddy McGuinness, apparently think that if you can attribute every opinion you disagree with to this phantom nincompoop, your opponents will thereby be implicated in the above list of horrors and, accordingly, discredited.

If you are opposed to the humane treatment of refugees, why not just state your reasons without all the irrelevant posturing and name-calling.

5. James Farrell
    May 24th, 2004 at 12:30 | #5

Sorry. Wrong box.

6. May 24th, 2004 at 20:11 | #6

Now I want to know what it was meant for? Which Jack do you mean?

7. James Farrell
    May 24th, 2004 at 23:23 | #7

Is there more than one Jack that might match this description, David? Jack (Bullet Man) Strocchi. I copied it to ‘A Shameful Episode’, where it was meant to go.