Home > Life in General > Karate in Brisbane

Karate in Brisbane

August 25th, 2004

As the blog seems to have some new readers, I thought it a good time to point out yet again that if you’re in Brisbane or the Gold Coast, and want to study karate in a rigorous traditional style, you can’t do better than Seiyushin. Kancho Nagayama was the winner in the 1988 All Japan National OpenWeight Tournament, and is a great teacher. The group is friendly, and open to a wide range of ages and skill levels (roughly 5 to 50 at present), and welcoming to both men and women. Dojos are in St Lucia, Toowong and Southport.

Categories: Life in General Tags:
  1. August 25th, 2004 at 10:21 | #1

My Wing Chun academy in Sydney has a branch on the Gold Coast, for those interested in trying another style of martial art (www.wingchun.com.au for details). As on many public policy issues, I would argue that my art is more efficient (biomechanically) than John’s!

2. James Farrell
    August 25th, 2004 at 13:11 | #2

I think sumo might be more my thing. Anyone know a good sensei?

3. Martin Pike
    August 25th, 2004 at 13:43 | #3

Indeed James, your perfect sensei and club are around the corner- they were profiled on super sized me!

I’ve never heard of it being taught in Oz, but anything from Judo to brasilian Jiu Jitsu would give you a similar rush. We ‘played’ sumo frequently when i did judo, belts in a circle and it’s on until you fall or step out…

With a bung knee I can’t do karate or judo now, so it’s the interesting world of doce pares (philippino stick and knife fighting) for me!

4. Fyodor
    August 25th, 2004 at 14:07 | #4

Everybody Wang Chung tonight!

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

5. James Farrell
    August 25th, 2004 at 16:48 | #5

There was a good story on longevity in Okinawa on Foreign Correspondent last week. Let’s hope Karate will guarantee us at least another 150 articles. But I assume the main reason John chose Karate is that it prohibits beard grabbing.

6. August 25th, 2004 at 18:30 | #6

Fyodor: don’t worry, we get that one ALOT!