Home > World Events > A revelation about the EU (crossposted at CT)

A revelation about the EU (crossposted at CT)

October 30th, 2004

When I first read the eschatological works of Hal Lindsey and others, one of the favorite themes was numerological analysis of the Book of Revelation, in which the EU figured prominently.

And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.

At the time, the then EEC had six members, so an expansion to seven or ten (which seemed likely) would fulfil the prophecy and signal the impending arrival of the end times. The Whore of Babylon also fitted in, but I can’t remember how. The EU did have ten members between 1981 and 1986, and I remember speculating that Reagan might be the Antichrist – surviving an assassination attempt was supposed to be a crucial sign (Revelation 13:1-2). But the world did not end after all.

Now, thanks to the Economist, I discover that Lindsey was right, except for a reversal of alignment. Arsene Heitz, the designer of the EU Flag advises that it was inspired by Revelation 12:1

A great sign was seen in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars.

normally taken to refer to the Virgin Mary. I’d be fascinated to see an apocalyptic Protestant response to this revelation.

Categories: World Events Tags:
  1. Homer Paxton
    October 30th, 2004 at 16:04 | #1

I don’t qualify but are a close as you will get.

They were/are a bunch of pratts.

2. October 30th, 2004 at 19:33 | #2

It’s likely they’d love the anti-Catholic potential of that story, John.

3. October 30th, 2004 at 19:34 | #3

PS: Try to be more tolerant Homer. I’m surprised at you.

4. Homer Paxton
    October 31st, 2004 at 10:33 | #4

CL ,
    I have never made the absurd claim that I am a ‘tolerant’ person.

5. Tapen Sinha
    November 1st, 2004 at 12:46 | #5

Don’t forget that Ronald Reagan’s full name was Ronald Wilson Reagan. Each part had six letters. Thus, his name means he bore the number 666. We all saw the movie – so we know what THAT means!

6. November 1st, 2004 at 14:30 | #6

I was once given a Hal Lindsey book. One of the few books I elected to dump in the bin – ripped up – rather than give to a second hand book store, lest someone read it and believe it.

Hmm, guess that means I’m with Homer.

7. Norman
    November 2nd, 2004 at 16:58 | #7

Thank God most people are arithmetically challenged. Otherwise there might be even more of them out there, writing nuneroNONlogical claptrap?

8. Baraholka
    November 5th, 2004 at 10:49 | #8

John, Love your work. The comments by Arsene Heitz are well known to the apocalyptically-minded. See the section entitled “The Deception” at http://www.thekeffs.freeserve.co.uk/EU_Flag_Page_1.htm

Best Regards,

Baraholka

9. Katz
    November 5th, 2004 at 10:59 | #9

But don’t forget that Europe is now divided between “Old Whore of Babylon” and “New Whore of Babylon”, so all eschatalogical bets are off, unless you count the imminent arrival of the Red Heifer of the Third Temple. (Is Israel in Europe?)

10. Baraholka
    November 5th, 2004 at 14:38 | #10

According to UEFA, yes, Israel is in Europe. So is Kazakhstan.

Eschatological events remain firmly ON, though its connections to the EU are uncertain to most.

Regards,