Home > Metablogging > Sidebars

Sidebars

November 23rd, 2004

At the suggestion of reader wbb, I’ve reorganised the sidebar, promoting recent comments to pride of place, ahead of the testimonials and recent posts. I hope this will prove useful both to regular commenters and to general readers, who will be aware that the comments here are often better than the posts. I also cleaned up some minor blogroll problems (thanks, PML!).

I’d be happy to hear what people think of these changes, and if there are any other suggestions.

Update Of all the testimonials on my page, Jason Soon’s inspired comparison with Britney Spears has been the popular favorite, even getting a run in the Oz. So, at James Farrell’s suggestion, seconded by others, it’s in pride of place, below the photo.

Also, I’d appreciate advice from readers for whom the sidebar doesn’t work, for example if it appears at the bottom of the page.

Categories: Metablogging Tags:
  1. James Farrell
    November 23rd, 2004 at 08:57 | #1

What about leaving just Jason’s testimonial under the picture? With that in peripheral view, the site is in no danger of seeming over-earnest.

2. Tony Healy
    November 23rd, 2004 at 09:28 | #2

Seconded. That’s a terrific comment from Jason (More intelligent than Britney Spears.)

3. November 23rd, 2004 at 09:37 | #3

I use two browsers, Arachne 1.75 and occasionally Netscape 2.0 (as now). With both, Brad DeLong’s blog sidebars appear at the side and yours only appear at the end, even now. Also, I can only post to his site without crashing if I avoid Netscape, and Netscape makes yours come up with messy javascript alert boxes all the time.

All in all, I think you may need to see what else you can tune in your templates, if you feel it is worth the effort making sure all surfers get a similar look and feel; Brad DeLong’s blog shows these two browsers are up to showing sidebars with some HTML.

4. November 23rd, 2004 at 09:56 | #4

Great!

5. November 23rd, 2004 at 10:44 | #5

Netscape 2.0? That was released in 1995. Are you still using Windows 3.1 or something?

6. Tom DC/VA
    November 23rd, 2004 at 11:48 | #6

I suggest moving the archives and not-so recent posts down and the blogroll up (with pride of place to economists, of course).

Annotating the blogroll with the [a title=] tag would be nice for people who aren’t familiar with all the names but who are browsing for something new. Typepad provides that ability built-in, but doing it by hand probably wouldn’t be worth the effort.

7. November 23rd, 2004 at 13:33 | #7

To think there was a great kerfuffle when people stopped designing their sites with NS 4.75 in mind!

8. November 23rd, 2004 at 13:42 | #8

John – To be fair to yourself you should mention, some where high up near the Brittney quote, that according to the following Wikipedia entry you have your own law and are nearly as famous as Goodwin:

“Quiggin’s subclause:
    In an Australian policy debate, whenever anyone refers to North Korea (or Cuba) as the exemplar of a policy which was in fact in force under Robert Menzies, they shall be deemed to have lost the debate automatically.”

9. Mark Bahnisch
    November 23rd, 2004 at 13:42 | #9

Thirded re – Jason’s testimonial.

10. JC
    November 23rd, 2004 at 14:21 | #10

What would it take to have the comments window resizable? It really %$#@ me. Just a question?

11. Tony Healy
    November 23rd, 2004 at 15:11 | #11

You can have the comments as a full page instead of a little window if you turn off javascript (which is better anyway, for security reasons.) You can turn it off at:

(IE) Tools->Internet Options->Security->Custom Level
    (Firefox) Tools->Options->Web Features

12. November 23rd, 2004 at 16:33 | #12

Thumbs up! Nice, I like it.

13. November 23rd, 2004 at 16:56 | #13

No, of course not, TL. I only use Windows 3.1 when I want some continuity with archives etc.

Mostly I use Arachne 1.75, which runs under DOS.

14. Geoff Honnor
    November 23rd, 2004 at 17:41 | #14

Nice, different, unusual….

15. November 23rd, 2004 at 20:46 | #15

I am just writing this in order to see my name on the sidebar.
    Hope you don’t mind.

16. Jason Soon
    November 23rd, 2004 at 22:01 | #16

gee guys i am immensely honoured …

17. JC
    November 24th, 2004 at 08:11 | #17

Turn off javascript? Ok. Thanks. I think.

18. November 24th, 2004 at 10:59 | #18

JC – the other way to max the comments is to drag the comment link to your address bar – better if like me you prefer javascript enabled.

19. JC
    November 24th, 2004 at 15:03 | #19

Ooooh. That’s gold. Didn’t think of that. Thanks wbb.

20. JC
    November 24th, 2004 at 15:07 | #20

In addition wbb. As a reward, I’m gonna start reading your blog again. Thanks.

21. November 26th, 2004 at 15:18 | #21

I have just put an antispam suggestion in the Monday message board, prompted by the ephemeral presence of some blog spam there. It may be relevant to reworking this blog’s look and feel.

Should the Brittany Spears mention really have been moved next to a link saying “more pictures here”? Perhaps that link’s caption should be reworded to avoid disappointing surfers.