Home > Life in General > Going with the Zeitgeist

Going with the Zeitgeist

February 12th, 2005

Well, I just bought my first pack of hot cross buns. Until now, I’ve vaguely tried to adhere to some notion of what’s appropriate to the season, but I guess I have to accept that Easter begins as soon as the last marked-down mince pies and Christmas puddings have been cleared from the shelves. Then I suppose there’s a month or two each for Mothers’ Day and Fathers’ Day before Christmas starts again in October (plus the various smaller occasions like Valentine’s Day).

My capitulation to the Zeitgeist on this matter doesn’t worry me too much. After all, I like hot cross buns. But I’m getting increasingly frequent comments on my furrowed brow. It’s no longer seen as the product of deep thought, but rather an indication that I’m too cheap to spring for Botox.

Categories: Life in General Tags:
  1. Razor
    February 12th, 2005 at 23:05 | #1

Another victim of the RWDM Military-Economic complex.

2. eric bloodaxe
    February 13th, 2005 at 05:07 | #2

What about Carling sunday, do you observe that?

3. February 13th, 2005 at 06:57 | #3

Our local supermarket has the marked down mincepies and hot X buns on the same shelf. The choc eggs are across the aisle. the eggs went in the week after Christmas and the buns in the second last week of January. They told me it was what the public wanted. I said it was BS, its what the bread company wants. *grumble*

4. paul2
    February 13th, 2005 at 07:41 | #4

Salivation before salvation, and beer before Botox.

5. Iain
    February 13th, 2005 at 10:18 | #5

The US annually goes on one long mega-conspicuous-consumption holiday from Thanksgiving right through until Super Bowl Sunday (which has now slowly and inexoriably worked its way out to early February).

It won’t be long until all 365 days are fully branded and mass marketed to satisfy the unsatiable appetites of our corporate overlords.

Wherein the ‘real’ solution, proposed by Scott Nearing, who used to fast in protest on days such as Easter and Christmas, will no longer be able to be applied.

6. February 13th, 2005 at 16:22 | #6

Like Melbourne – one long chain of festivals. Outside I have the St Kilda fest as we speak (and I will join it in a minute) followed by the car race and Moomba and then the comedy fest etc..

I suppose the next step is to link it to special foods. Gingerbread ferraris and ice cream clown noses.

At least the Xmas stuff and the Easter stuff is not the same recipe rebadged. That would be really awful.

7. February 13th, 2005 at 17:01 | #7

If your skull shape is sufficiently round, like mine, wrinkles form at the back rather than the front since the whole scalp can easily slide over the skull when raising the brow. That’s my theory, anyway. Doesn’t do a damned thing for grey, though.

8. February 13th, 2005 at 21:43 | #8

In all fairness, this is the earliest Easter we’ve had since 1989… but we’re due for an even earlier one in 2008: March 23! I expect to be able to quite literally buy Easter Eggs in the post Christmas sales.

9. February 13th, 2005 at 22:13 | #9

Myself, PM, I have a pointy head, which rises to an elegant little cone on top. Unfortunately it means my beanies gradually rise up and fall off.