Home > World Events > Are you thinking what I’m thinking

Are you thinking what I’m thinking

April 13th, 2005

There’s been a lot of discussion about the ‘Australianisation‘ of the Conservatives election campaign in Britain, as represented by very lightly coded appeals to xenophobia and racism. But now the issue is settled. The Tories have pinched their slogan from B1 and B2

Actually, after posting this I realised that my blogtwin Tim Dunlop had beaten me to it ages ago, though he didn’t bother to spell out the Bananas in Pyjamas angle. But it’s still too good a story to miss.

Update 14/4 A day after this blog and weeks after Tim D, the Oz picks up the story

Categories: World Events Tags:
  1. Warbo
    April 13th, 2005 at 07:20 | #1

Cheese and whiskers!

2. Guardian of the Faith
    April 13th, 2005 at 08:38 | #2

“Bananas in Pyjamas began on ABC in Australia in 1992.” I’m pretty sure it was airing as part of Play School many years before that. Such glaring errors show the Guardian for what it is: inaccurate leftie rantings.

“…unimaginatively called B1 and B2″?! It’s a kids show. They don’t need to be named after literary giants or anything. And this from a country that exports such profoundly imaginative shows as the Bill…..

3. April 13th, 2005 at 10:37 | #3

The slogan is also very similar to the straight line from a running gag in the animated series Pinky and the Brain. The megalomaniacal Brain would ask the ditzy Pinky, “Are you pondering what I’m pondering?”

4. April 13th, 2005 at 11:02 | #4

Guardian, anyone who has been watching the Bill over the last few years is in no doubt that it is profoundly imaginative… though not necessarily in a good way.

5. John Quiggin
    April 13th, 2005 at 12:15 | #5

I gave up on the Bill a while after it jumped the shark. I agree with Robert on this one.

6. April 13th, 2005 at 13:38 | #6

JQ, you just made me think, is there an equivalent to jumping the shark for blogs? Are you thinking that too? Is it maybe when they get too self referential and start thinking about what they are thinking, rather than thinking about things?

7. Katz
    April 13th, 2005 at 14:23 | #7

Possible British Labour Party counter to Crosby dog whistle:

“Are you thinking?”

8. John Quiggin
    April 13th, 2005 at 15:48 | #8

PML, I’m not sure on the criteria for blogsharkjumping, but Mickey Kaus is the best example I know of. I’m amazed he still holds a prime spot at Slate – it’s striking how completely he has fallen off the radar screen of the blogosphere in general.

9. Paul G. Brown
    April 13th, 2005 at 15:57 | #9

Aw nuts. It’s an smarms war.

There was that extra-large delivery of Wiggle’s DVDs to the Liberal Democrats. . .

10. Mark Upcher
    April 14th, 2005 at 00:58 | #10

Perhaps Labor could take its theme from Play School: “There’s a Blair in there….”

11. Ros
    April 14th, 2005 at 07:58 | #11

“It’s low, rankly opportunistic and it’s Australian.” Think essentially Ken and Tim nail it.
    Marvellous example of xenophobia combined with good old fashioned snobbery from Prescott.
    And the constant entertaining reports we get from the large number of young Australians working in the UK is that contempt for colonials is alive and well and a source of great amusement for the hardworking yobbos from Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

12. Guardian of the Faith
    April 14th, 2005 at 17:05 | #12

Not only does the Australian pick up on it, but in its page two profile of Alston (newly minted as the Ambassador to the UK) it points out that Labour are “seeking to turn the term ‘Australian political campaigning’ into a euphamism forr blatant appeals to racism…”. Lovely