Home > Regular Features > Weekend reflections

Weekend reflections

April 16th, 2005

This regular feature is back. The idea is that, over the weekend, you should post your thoughts in a more leisurely fashion than in ordinary comments or the Monday Message Board.

Please post your thoughts on any topic, at whatever length seems appropriate to you. Civilised discussion and no coarse language, please.

Categories: Regular Features Tags:
  1. April 16th, 2005 at 10:22 | #1

On what basis do you object to the inclusion of so called course language?

2. John Quiggin
    April 16th, 2005 at 11:47 | #2

I like to maintain a civilised (as defined by me) mode of discussion on this blog and I have found that coarse language doesn’t help with this. I have no problem with other people choosing to run their blogs and comments threads differently, but that’s the way I choose to do things.

3. Benno
    April 16th, 2005 at 12:35 | #3

John, do you know a site which will host a word document? similar to the way photobucket hosts jpegs?

4. John Quiggin
    April 16th, 2005 at 13:03 | #4

Email it to me and I will try to put it up on this site. I’ve been having permissions problems for people trying to download, but I think these are under control now.

5. Benno
    April 16th, 2005 at 16:09 | #5

Thanks john,

Having read and commented on Antony Green’s piece Informal voting – don’t blame the voters!

and subsequently been refered to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet_method I would have to say it is the best voting system. That is compulsory preferencing condorcet voting.

John you would no doubt have heard about this system as it is combination of economics, politics and philosophy (logic). So I am very interested in what you have to say.

6. Hal9000
    April 16th, 2005 at 17:38 | #6

An article of possible interest on the sinister role of the World Bank and the reconstruction industry in the aftermath of the tsunami:

7. April 16th, 2005 at 18:15 | #7

Benno, your views on voting are just precisely the slippery slope I am going to try and expose on the preferential voting thread later. Would here be better, with a link from there?

JQ and Benno, people like me have difficulty coping with word formats. If at all practical as a one off, it would be far better to htmlise it. A long term solution for many files is to have a CGI generate html versions on the fly on demand.

8. April 16th, 2005 at 19:54 | #8

Does anyone know how you can get RSS and such feeds sent directly to web-based email? Its the only way I can get some of the people I know reading blogs.

9. April 17th, 2005 at 09:08 | #9

Banning coarse language pre-emptively thwarts an arms face in vindictive abuse.

10. Jason Soon
    April 17th, 2005 at 09:29 | #10

“On what basis do you object to the inclusion of so called course language? ”

Bleh. It’s all par for the coarse

11. benno
    April 17th, 2005 at 11:32 | #11

I don’t mind P.M. Laurence.