Home > Life in General > Two in one

Two in one

April 22nd, 2005

Today is a bit of a red letter day for me as the late email brought in my second journal article acceptance for the day: the first time I’ve managed this, I think, though I’ve had three rejections in the same day before now. So no more work for me; it’s time to uncork the Hentschke’s Hensckes!Henschke’s

Categories: Life in General Tags:
  1. Mark Upcher
    April 23rd, 2005 at 13:44 | #1

Does the “t” make it cheaper?

2. April 23rd, 2005 at 17:15 | #2

Is that Mark Upcher or Ãœpcher? I am surprised a Bahnisch didn’t get there first, since I think their heritage is Barossa Deutsch. :)

3. John Quiggin
    April 23rd, 2005 at 19:36 | #3

I guess i must have uncorked first, then posted! Fixed now, thanks guys.

4. James Farrell
    April 23rd, 2005 at 19:48 | #4

The Bähnisches long ago confessed to misspelling their own name, so they wouldn’t dare point the finger.

5. Brian Bahnisch
    April 23rd, 2005 at 22:32 | #5

I thought I posted a couple of hours ago, but it’s not here.

David, my dad left the Barossa in 1914 as a 16 year old. I’ve been to visit several times, but it’s not really my country. I crawled out of the brigalow scrub in Qld.

James, I sign my name with an Umlaut but I can’t seem to produce it on the computer. Do you mind telling me again how it’s done? I recall Mark gave out the instructions once, but I just couldn’t get it to work!

I’d ask David, but I think he uses a Mac. But then again he probably knows anyway.

6. James Farrell
    April 23rd, 2005 at 22:46 | #6

I made it in Word – you type a colon while pressing Ctrl (nothing happens), then type ‘a’ – then cut and paste in this here comment box. You’ll find this method indispensible when writing Hungarian too, e.g. közlekedési lehetÅ‘ségek.

7. Andrew Reynolds
    April 23rd, 2005 at 23:17 | #7

Thanks, James – very useful.
    Only problem is that I only speak Indonesian as a foreign language and they do not need them. Oh, well – will have to pull out “French for Dummies” soon.
    Might point it out to a German mate of mine, though.

8. Brian Bahnisch
    April 23rd, 2005 at 23:32 | #8

Thanks, James, but for me, sadly, it still doesn’t work. Maybe my Office 97 and Windows 98 need updating. Cheers.

9. Brian Bähnisch
    April 23rd, 2005 at 23:37 | #9

Brian Bähnisch – there, it worked! I copied it off your comment into Word and the copied it back here!

10. April 24th, 2005 at 01:50 | #10

It was very easy on a Mac! I just realised that I broke my promise when I bought a new computer that the next one would be a Mac. Oh well!

11. April 24th, 2005 at 01:53 | #11

Btw, Brian, I do it in Word and paste it in.

12. April 24th, 2005 at 01:54 | #12

As James just demonstrated, if I’d been paying attention!

13. Brian Bähnisch
    April 24th, 2005 at 09:26 | #13

Yeah, Mark, but it just doesn’t work for me.

However, I’ve saved the ä separately in a Word file on my desktop. I’ll find some German text and copy the other letters in upper and lower case, so I’ll have a full kit. James has given the ö above, so there’s a start, along with David’s Ãœ. More ways than one to skin a cat!

14. Brian Bahnisch
    April 24th, 2005 at 09:33 | #14

btw it does work for Ä if I hold down ctrl and shift, but only if it’s the second letter I type. Wierd.

I dunno that I’ll use the Bähnisch. I’m just not used to seeing it in print!

15. James Farrell
    April 24th, 2005 at 09:40 | #15

Brian, what about using the menu: Insert/Symbol, then click on the symbol you want.

I daresay P.M. Lawrence does this all the time when he’s writing in, say, Yoruba. Ilé-iÿë afìmõ-tuntun-kéde yìí wà fún, if you’re listening, old chap!

16. Tristan McLeay
    April 24th, 2005 at 10:37 | #16

Another option is the Character Map. I believe it’s in the Start Menu, Programs, Accessories, System Tools. It gives you a matrix of a lot of exotic characters (as well as the normal ones) which you can copy and paste.

(I don’t use Windows much so I might’ve got the exact location wrong. You could also go Start, then Run, then type ‘charmap’ and press Enter, but the first way’s probably easier, and you can copy a shortcut to the desktop for quick access.)

(My name’s another one that looks differently in print and in handwriting… My brother always superscripts the c in print and it just looks bizarre!)

17. Mark Upcher
    April 24th, 2005 at 20:49 | #17

After all these exchanges, I am gald that my “U” doesn’t need an umlaut.

18. John Quiggin
    April 24th, 2005 at 20:55 | #18

I’m gald too, Mark!

19. April 24th, 2005 at 23:48 | #19

About the only words of Yoruba I know are “Oba”, “Ade”, and “Iko”, plus a few place names. I do know a few expressions in Arabic, though, e.g. “sadirag bi jasmu”. (Please do not use this unintentionally – it is loaded.) I do recall that many vowels had a single dot either above or below them. In general, English was widely spoken; it wasn’t until our family went as far north as Zaria that we met someone who couldn’t speak it – and Zaria was well beyond the Yoruba country, actually an emirate.

I will paste in some things that my browser just rendered from above:-

“Brian B~hnisch – there, it worked! I copied it off your comment into Word and”

“Comment by Brian Bähnisch ~ 23/4/2005 @ ”

“method indispensible when writing Hungarian too, e.g. k~zleked~si”
    “lehetÅ‘s~gek. ”

“Yoruba. Il~-i~~ af~m~-tuntun-k~de y~~ w~ f~n, if you’re listening, old chap! ”

The thing is, after that last round of difficulty with character sets being rendered, I got the Arachne maintainers to substitute a tilde for anything unreadable. But that means that anything non-tilde does appear to have an ASCII meaning, which Arachne has rendered faithfully.

20. Tristan McLeay
    April 24th, 2005 at 23:56 | #20

Looking at the source of the webpage, the a-uml you see is entered as an a-uml in the source (in Unicode), but the ones that come up as a tilde are HTML entities. I find it amazing that any browser would read Unicode, but not entities. Do you know why?

21. April 25th, 2005 at 01:19 | #21

I don’t see an a-uml. Rather, I see some characters that were recognised as something, and therefore when cut and pasted they passed right through, arriving at your browser as they started and showing to you as an a-uml. What got tilded were those characters that made no sense at all to Arachne – not those it though made sense as something, but it didn’t realise meant something else to those who wrote it.

22. Brian Bahnisch
    April 25th, 2005 at 21:51 | #22

Thanks, James and Tristan. They both work. The Insert/Symbol has more on it and is a bit larger for these old eyes. Character Map can be kept open as a readily accessible file.

I’ve only used basic text facilities on Word, plus spreadsheets so my ignorance is vast.

23. April 27th, 2005 at 01:19 | #23

The knowledge of ignorance is the beginning of wisdom, or something like that.