Home > General > Life in Brisbane

Life in Brisbane

May 19th, 2005

I happened to notice a story in the local suburban newspaper about the midnight opening of Revenge of the Sith which begins “Hundreds of fanatics will brave the cool to be among the first to see …”

Categories: General Tags:
  1. May 19th, 2005 at 10:13 | #1

Guilty… oh lord, guilty

Count me amongst the “cool” then.

2. Paul Norton
    May 19th, 2005 at 12:34 | #2

Someone was reportedly seen at the Sydney opening night of Revenge of the Sith wearing a Jabba the Hutt costume. However on closer inspection it was found to be Piers Akerman wearing his normal attire.

3. Knob
    May 19th, 2005 at 13:17 | #3

-”Count me amongst the “coolâ€? then.”-

Um, no, Guy, they attend despite the intrinsic uncool, I believe that was what the line referred to.

You can be ace, hip, innit or grouse though….

4. May 19th, 2005 at 15:15 | #4

They tell us that it is supposed to have an allegorical subtext critical of current US realpolitik practices. Either it is like seeing faces in clouds, a result of the sort of universality of good tragedy, or sheer coincidence of history rhyming. I say this because so much of the framework, back story, and even production was freezing out faster and sooner than our present world order.

5. Benno
    May 19th, 2005 at 19:09 | #5

On the same path as PML I think that the reason they share a vague plot similarity is because both plots are simple, schematic, based around stringent notions of good and evil and both have terrible acting. And both have some great special effects. Cowards, dirty filthy cowards.

6. jquiggin
    May 19th, 2005 at 20:34 | #6

Just to clarify, I think the reporter had written “braved the cold”, then realized this was absurd in Brizzie.

7. Stephen Ziguras
    May 19th, 2005 at 21:34 | #7

My mum lives near Brisbane and tells me sometimes it gets so cold she has to get a blanket out.

8. Katz
    May 20th, 2005 at 15:02 | #8

Does history record whether both of Brisbane’s cool residents were present at this premiere?

9. Mark Upcher
    May 20th, 2005 at 18:40 | #9

And yet last night in Brisbane, ice fell from the sky.

10. Mark Upcher
    May 20th, 2005 at 18:43 | #10

BTW, I like the post on Marginal Revolution “The public choice economics of Star Wars: A Straussian reading” giving an altewrnative interpretation of Star Wars and explaining why it is the Jedi who are the baddies.

11. Teresa Kieseker
    May 23rd, 2005 at 18:56 | #11

I thought I would wait a while to ‘brave the cold’ so to speak, next week is good enough.

12. May 23rd, 2005 at 20:11 | #12

Does Brisbane have anything like Melbourne’s Astor? I missed Sky Captain, but with any luck I’ll be able to catch it at the Astor in August because of its art house/single showing policies.