Ekka

August 17th, 2005

Like about a hundred thousand other Brisvegans, my son and I spent the day at the Ekka[1]. A good time was had by all. The great thing about going to the show is that it never changes: laughing clowns, dodgems, fairy floss, show bags and woodchopping are just as they were in the shows I went to as a child. The Ekka has one extra event we’ve added to our list – the Silver Spike tracklaying contest held by QR. And this year they had a human cannonball. It’s a wonderful way to spend a public holiday.

fn1. Short for Exhibition, our annual show.

Categories: Life in General Tags:
  1. August 17th, 2005 at 22:01 | #1

Came across the term “ekka” over at Larvatus Prodeo and was quite surprised by it. Never come across that particular form of slang before, despite the similar annual show that Sydney does. Odd.

2. August 17th, 2005 at 23:41 | #2

What? No greasy pig chase? (always thought you southerners did miss out on quite a bit of the fun!)

3. August 18th, 2005 at 00:10 | #3

As many of my students told me on Friday, this year there was also a girl being fired from a cannon.

I might go next year – a number of friends have reported great Queensland cheeses and ports and liqueurs that you normally have to drive to Kenilworth or Tambourine for being on sale.

4. August 18th, 2005 at 00:18 | #4

I’m assuming that’s the human cannonball, John? I saw her on the Friday night news on the teev.

We can often see the Ekka fireworks and hear bands from there at New Farm.

5. Harry Clarke
    August 18th, 2005 at 08:09 | #5

You ‘likes’ surprise me John. I thought what is often the crass commercialism of these events might put you off. Shows what a well-rounded person you are. Do you think about non-expected utility theory when people get fired from cannons? Or is it all successful magic?

I used to go to the Melbourne correlate occasionally but couldn’t get my kids to slow down and watch the field events — they just wanted show bags and ‘rides’.

6. Paul Norton
    August 18th, 2005 at 08:26 | #6

How many thousands of dollars did it set you and your son back?

I went to the Ekka with my then partner during my first year in Brisbane (1989). I name God as my witness that after spending an entire afternoon at all the venues without seeing a single police officer, when we entered the Pigs pavilion we encountered a male and a female police officer on patrol, looking distinctly uncomfortable, and causing us to have great difficulty containing our mirth.

7. jquiggin
    August 18th, 2005 at 08:59 | #7

We managed it for about $150, Paul, but that was mainly going to free stuff, like the food and wine pavilion Mark mentions, and the arena events. You could easily spend a lot more.

8. Hal9000
    August 18th, 2005 at 11:18 | #8

Ageing grump that I am, I stopped going to the Ekka a few years back when the combine harvesters, pumps and generators I loved playing on as a kid decamped to the Toowoomba Agfest. The chooks and other livestock are still worth looking at, but they no longer give away the milk they harvest off those sleek prize cows, on account of the infinitesimal risk that those marvellously healthy specimens might harbour listeria. Meanwhile, what do you think of the RNA redevelopment proposals, JQ? To my mind, they’ll eradicate whatever residual charm the Ekka still holds.

9. August 18th, 2005 at 15:09 | #9

Ekka reminds me of Sanskrit numbers – eka, dva, dre, chatra, pancha, shasta, sapta, asha, narva, dasha, ekadasha, dvadasha and so on. How cultural can you get?

10. jquiggin
    August 19th, 2005 at 11:09 | #10

Hal, I haven’t been following the redevelopment proposals. But as far as the Ekka is concerned, all change is bad.