Home > Books and culture > What I’ve been reading

What I’ve been reading

September 25th, 2005

I’ve been pretty much flat out lately, not too busy to read, but to busy to post much about it. I enjoyed “The Kite Runner” (Khaled Hosseini). I’ve also been reading“The End of Oil : On the Edge of a Perilous New World” (Paul Roberts) and “The Singularity Is Near : When Humans Transcend Biology” (Ray Kurzweil) and plan to review both at some point.

Categories: Books and culture Tags:
  1. gordon
    September 26th, 2005 at 10:37 | #1

I too have been reading Roberts’ “The End of Oil”, which I thought good but not well enough referenced. I particularly liked Roberts’ frank acknowledgement that Iraq is an oil war. Why this is not universally recognised is beyond me.

2. gordon
    September 26th, 2005 at 10:54 | #2

I also liked the description of J. Howard sabotaging the Australian NWShelf consortium’s negotiations with the Chinese on natural gas – thereby lowering the price the consortium eventually got (p.186 of the Bloomsbury paperback edition).

3. wilful
    September 26th, 2005 at 11:03 | #3

I’m very very skeptical of singularity talk – I reckon the nano and bio tech sorts aren’t delivering, and while computer storage and networking keeps impressing me, human nature and the ecological crisis enveloping the world make it a trivial toy for rich folks.

Now here is a book I’m interested in, The Weatehr Makers by Tim Flannery, out today!

4. wilful
    September 26th, 2005 at 11:05 | #4

Apologies to Dr Flannery and all readers for that typo in the title. Interestingly Amazon says it’s not out till March 06 – which is a strange delay for US/international customers.

5. Ian Gould
    September 27th, 2005 at 10:58 | #5

Anyone interested in Kurzweil’s views can find an essay by him on the singularity theory in the latest New Scientist.

6. gordon
    September 30th, 2005 at 12:11 | #6

And you might like to look at George Monbiot’s relevant and pithy remarks at
    As usual, Monbiot sums up the situation by mounting a few more shrunken heads on the wall.