Home > World Events > Bali again

Bali again

October 2nd, 2005

Another terrorist atrocity in Bali, presumably the work of Jemaah Islamiah or one of its offshoots. As usual with JI’s attacks, the majority of victims are Indonesians, but one Australian, a 16-year-old boy, has been killed and a large number wounded. Some commentary later, perhaps, but for the moment I’ll just express my sympathy for those killed and hopes for the recovery of the injured.

Categories: World Events Tags:
  1. Ian Gould
    October 2nd, 2005 at 09:56 | #1

I would really, really appreciate it if both sides of the debate over the war on terror could refrain from partisan point-scoring over this tragedy for a decent interval.

Let’s join together with John in expressing our sympathy for the death.

2. October 2nd, 2005 at 15:16 | #2

Thank you Ian, I agree that there should not be point scoring. But I do think that it is vitally important that we and our government acknowledge equal value to the deaths and injuries caused to all human beings, not mainly or only to Australians. Many more Balinese will have suffered in this outrageous act and we should be ready to help them.

The aftermath is also a fearsome prospect for the Balinese. The ruin of their businesses and their economy will be felt for some time to come. I hope we have enough compassion to remember these people too.

3. Dave Ricardo
    October 2nd, 2005 at 15:29 | #3

Three Australians amongst the dead, according to the latest reports.

Timed to coincide the school holidays when there are lots of Australian families in Bali?

This should kill the Balinese economy for decades. October 2002 might have been dismissed as a one off, but if there can be two bombings, there can be dozens. Who in their right mind is going to go on holidays to Bali now?

4. Geoff Honnor
    October 2nd, 2005 at 16:06 | #4

I note that there were a lot of Asian tourists – Koreans and Japanese – caught up in the bombings. Their importance to Bali’s tourist economy has increased significantly in recent years. It looks pretty broad brush in terms of targeting and given the previous form, it looks, at least initially, to be as much about crushing the “decadent” and unIslamic Balinese visitor industry – while, presumably, saying something unequivocal about the power to strike at will – as anything else. As Dave observes, it’s hard to see Bali bouncing back from this.

Willy, I see no reason why we wouldn’t automatically acknowledge both the internationalist and domestic impact of the carnage and to a person thus far, Australian commentators I’ve heard or read have done just that.

5. October 2nd, 2005 at 17:01 | #5

Many Australians will continue to visit Bali. Not turned off by this incident. A little bit of perspective and some primary knowledge of the place would say, “go back”.

Great and loving people deserve a tourist boom.
    Sad times for all visitors who have died and worse ,badly injured. More, mourning for Balinese, who cope with death in such an amazing way.

Suspect, the greatest danger in Bali, for tourists, is hireing a motorbike.

6. Andrew Reynolds
    October 2nd, 2005 at 21:31 | #6

As in most wars there are many sides – and there are those that switch between them. The Balinese themselves – Hindus almost exclusively – will be the worst hit. Indeed, that is probably why Bali is being targetted in this way. The numbers of Muslims hit as ‘collateral damage’ is minimised.
    As usual, the innocent are the targets of cowards. It is just very sad.

7. Kay
    October 2nd, 2005 at 22:17 | #7

Steven and Harry

Thank you for your sincere posts.

My heart is heavy for those who died, those injured, and families and friends.

8. jquiggin
    October 3rd, 2005 at 06:39 | #8

I’ve put a number of comments in this thread in moderation while I work out what to do with them, and I’m closing comments. We can get back to our usual arguments another time.