Home > Life in General > Waiting for the Easter Bilby

Waiting for the Easter Bilby

April 15th, 2006

I hope everyone is having a good Easter break, like me, and looking forward to the visit of the Easter bilby.

Categories: Life in General Tags:
  1. April 15th, 2006 at 11:01 | #1

Doesn’t quite have all the fertility symbolism of the old bunny but then again it is Autumn.

2. April 15th, 2006 at 13:32 | #2

3. Terje
    April 15th, 2006 at 16:47 | #3

I blame calicivirus.

4. Terje
    April 15th, 2006 at 20:20 | #4

I have never previously thought really hard about the meaning of Easter.

The usual story is that it is about Jesus dieing for our sins and then rising from the dead and showing himself to be the son of God.

Last night I watched “The Passion of the Christ”. It is quite graphic and it depicts the prolonged torture and then execution of Jesus. The central point of meaning that I drew from the account was not that he died for our sins or that he rose from the dead. It was that after the most horrific abuse he found the courage and the love to pray for his abusers and to forgive them. This seems like a far greater miracle than rising from the dead. And one that offers in my view a far more inspiring message.

5. April 16th, 2006 at 00:19 | #5

Steve protests: Childhood wouldn’t be the same hunting for Bilby droppings on Easter Sunday instead of those big candy eggs.

I don’t remember searching for Bunny scats on Easter Sunday! (Unless the rabbits were able to get out of their cages and into the chookshed, and back again, when no-one was looking, they didn’t lay eggs either—I doubt the Easter Bilby’s got anything to worry about.)

Terje begins: I have never previously thought really hard about the meaning of Easter.

The English name for “easter” derives from a pre-Christian English festival celebrating birth and new life; it shares the same root as “east” (and in fact “Australia”—ancient Romans confused east and south), and refers to the dawn. The use of eggs and wabbits in a spring-time celebration is and has been quite common the world around—eggs are a lot more comfortable to pass around than wombs.

Of course, Jesus received a new life at easter-time and could perhaps be considered the ultimate instantiation of this spring-time celebration.

And also there’s the slight problem of Easter happening in the middle of Autumn. Perhaps things grow better in the Autumn/Winter in Australia? I certainly prefer the cooler weather, and I expect plants appreciate the rain.

(BTW: In a Catholic Primary School, I think the messages I got most out of it was bunnies&eggs=life, and no the bunny *didn’t* lay them, & that Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice for us, so great is God’s love for us. God never let anything (like a humiliating and painful execution) stand in the way of creating a most perfect relationship between us and him, and neither should we.)

6. April 16th, 2006 at 01:34 | #6

Glad I googled to find out what a bilby was. Now I know what a bandicoot is as well. I had thought that latter was something to do with the 5 o’clock swill.

7. April 16th, 2006 at 10:14 | #7

I have said it before and I’ll say it again: in the name of raising awareness of an endangered species, the bilby, children are being indoctrinated to eat bilbies.

I watched “In Hell” last night, about Jack the Ripper, and I must tell you that there seems to be no practical difficulty passing around wombs. Getting them, now…

8. Fred Bastiat
    April 17th, 2006 at 11:42 | #8

Good on yer, PML.

I have argued this for years, why eat an endangered species when we should be eating bunnies to get rid of them.

9. April 17th, 2006 at 13:15 | #9

For another insight on this area, link here.

10. April 17th, 2006 at 13:52 | #10

Alexander McLeay: Bringing eggs is the sole province of the Easter Bunny.

Which leaves Bilbies able to mark their visit in the usual manner adopted by wild animals.

11. Terje
    April 18th, 2006 at 11:28 | #11

Alexander McLeay,

Thanks for your background on easter. The etymology was interesting.

Regards,
    Terje.

12. Krill
    April 19th, 2006 at 09:32 | #12

As a wildlife carer in QLD who has had experience raising both orphanned bunnies and bilbies, I feel the urge to say that the Bilby is undeniably the superior (and cuter!) animal. Where bunnies are soft, bilbies are silken; and where bunnies are quiet or playful, bilbies are nutts.
    Honest, as soon as bilbies are off the extinction list, someone should push for them to become household pets. They are awesome.

13. April 19th, 2006 at 13:03 | #13

Krill: I take it you are aware that in Queensland, raising an orphaned bunny is an offence?

14. Terje Petersen
    April 19th, 2006 at 23:43 | #14

Rabbits can be toilet trained to use a litter bin much the same as a cat. Any success in training bilbies in this way?