Home > Regular Features > Monday message board

Monday message board

June 12th, 2006

It’s time, once again for the Monday Message Board. As usual, civilised discussion and absolutely no coarse language, please.

As a discussion starter, should we continue to celebrate the Queen’s Birthday with a public holiday?

Categories: Regular Features Tags:
  1. June 12th, 2006 at 14:43 | #1

What a great Lady! A good choice. We do not (as discussed before on this blog) enjoy an excess of public holidays so retain this one and retain its dedication to our beloved monarch, Queen Elizabeth.

A civilised move would be towards at least one public holiday per month. I think we should also celebrate John Howard’s Birthday as White Picket Fence Day and R.G. Menzies’ lifetime achievements as Ming’s Day. These could be days when the whole nation can get together and celebrate our post-war achievements.

And to show we weren’t politically biased we could celebrate the birthdays of past Labor PMs as well – not a whole day for each, of course – they aren’t worth that much – but bundle them all together and call it Labor Pains Day.

2. June 12th, 2006 at 14:56 | #2

Of course this holiday should be retained. Not only does it maintain a point of differentiation from the UK, it serves to highlight that the question of distinct identity has nothing to do with any drive towards a republic.

3. June 12th, 2006 at 15:20 | #3

All public holidays should be abolished.

4. smiths
    June 12th, 2006 at 15:21 | #4

off the holiday topic,

if a person mentions control of the flow of information, or powerful groups of people who are not elected, is that then automatically defined as conspiracy theory,

i feel that its a cop out to throw that at someone rather than engage inwith the content of their post,
    what do people think?

5. milano803
    June 12th, 2006 at 15:26 | #5

“All public holidays should be abolished. ”

Why?

6. Bring Back EP at LP
    June 12th, 2006 at 15:59 | #6

Australia stands near the feet of greatness if sorry when we beat Japan to night.

Then its Brazil!!

7. James
    June 12th, 2006 at 16:06 | #7

JQ, where’s the world cup blog?

Australia plays Japan TONIGHT, and as far as I know, coach Guus Hiddink has failed to make any preparations in response to the Japanese mascot ‘Rommel’. Whenever this actual daschund shows up to training, Japan have won the match. So far its 18 wins and 0 losses where Rommel has been present!

If that’s not a terrifying statistic which needs to be addressed on this blog, what is? How did a dog with that name get through German customs? How will the Aussies respond?

8. Paul Kelly the footy player and journo
    June 12th, 2006 at 16:23 | #8

Abolish the Queens’a birthday holiday, for sure. Add it instead to the Xmas New Year period. That way Steve at the Pub will be up for more in penalty rates around that time of year, so we get two good results for the price of one.

I wonder whether if Steve spent less time on the web griping about his employees, and more time with his sleeves rolled up he might have less reason to grumble about his business. It obviously doesn’t do very well: should we have a whip around to save Steve’s pub.

Save Steve’s pub! Save Steve’s pub!

9. milano803
    June 12th, 2006 at 17:12 | #9

So Paul McCartney is 64 today. Anyone care?

10. chris shannon
    June 12th, 2006 at 18:04 | #10

One is delighted to go fishing in honour of Her Royal Highness’ birthday, especially after the anitpodeans won the Rugby last night. Pass the pillies……

11. spog
    June 12th, 2006 at 18:11 | #11

I’d like to see holidays on the equinoxes and solstices. I’m happy to give up the Queen’s Birthday in return for these four days.

12. June 12th, 2006 at 18:13 | #12

Who pays penalty rates in these days of WorkChoices legislation?

Paul Kelly footy player & journo, are you by any chance typing from a VERY slow connection? (you don’t seem very up to date, hehe)

13. June 12th, 2006 at 18:31 | #13

I was unaware it was the Queen’s birthday. All I was told was that it was a long weekend. Perish the thought, but should the Queen go the way of all flesh would the day change?

The monarchy is now the most monumentally irrelevant institution conceivable. It is only meaningful in it absurdity.

Obviously, public holidays are not good for the economy, much like fair wages and conditions for the ever expanding underclass, and so they should be abolished henceforth.

14. Paul Kelly the footy player and journo
    June 12th, 2006 at 18:38 | #14

Good point Big Steve. I hadn’t realised public holidays had become redundant. In which case none of it matters, does it?

15. James Farrell
    June 12th, 2006 at 18:47 | #15

“…near the feet of greatness if sorry…”

So the Socceroos should apologise to Japan if they beat them?

16. Jill Rush
    June 12th, 2006 at 18:47 | #16

I am happy to retain the holiday for the Queen as it makes for some great jokes, a few of us can still have a mid winter break and there has to be some tangible benefit to the monarchy since we decided to keep it.

17. Alexander McLeay
    June 12th, 2006 at 20:36 | #17

I think we need more, rather than fewer, public holidays in the winter. (If we win the Soccer tonight, maybe we rename the Queens Birthday to “Socceroos Day” if we wish to detach the association from the Queen.) There’s nothing from now till Cup Day. In the Northern Hemisphere, they get Christmas *and* summer. I vote we make the Winter Solstice or some random date in July another public holiday, and encourage appropriate celebrations of some sort or another.

Maybe we should also make the the Grand Final a public holiday (or the Monday following), too. Why should sports-related public holidays be limited to horse racing? (On which subject, are there other countries which explicitly have public holidays for sporting events? considered distinctly from having sporting events on public holidays.)

BTW: A poster above asks about the relationship between the Queens Birthday public holiday and Her Majesty, Elizabeth II, Queen of Australia. (This question might’ve already been answered better than I can, I’m working from a bit of an old page.) Considering that the holiday is a variable date, it should be obvious that it’s not her actual birthday (hence I don’t put an apostrophe in it) which I think is sometime in April. I imagine if we get a King, it remains the same, and becomes the Kings Birthday, and if we get a President, it should remain the same and become the Presidents Birthday, or if the Governor-General becomes head-of-state, it should become the Governor-Generals Birthday. The Wikipedia Article on the day suggests I’m right about it becoming “Kings Birthday”; the rest of course is just guessing on my part. I think I’d feel a bit reluctant to do them tho, Australians seem like such mere mortals compared to a Queen on the other side of the world (which is funny, because I’m not exactly a monarchist).

18. morganzola
    June 12th, 2006 at 21:06 | #18

So if penalty rates aren’t the happy publican’s beef, is it just sheer snarkiness behind his antipathy towards public holidays?

19. chris shannon
    June 12th, 2006 at 21:31 | #19

There’s no public holiday in Queensland for the Melbourne Cup. Is there one in Victoria? The next public holiday here is “People’s Day” for the RNA show in mid August then a long haul to Christmas.

20. June 12th, 2006 at 21:55 | #20

tsk tsk chris, the next public holiday in Queensland is Christmas Day.

Each town or city has a show holiday at the time of the local agricultural or pastoral show. If you believe that “brisbane” is synonymous with “Queensland” then you ain’t been very far in this mighty state!

Morganzola: Who ever suggested that penalty rates are my “beef”? I don’t see the point of public holidays when so few people have the day off, and even less people seem to observe (or care for) the reason for a holiday.

21. Alexander McLeay
    June 12th, 2006 at 22:04 | #21

In Melbourne. I don’t think there’s a legal holiday for Melbourne Cup in the rest of the state but I imagine there’s a sort of a “bank holiday effect” and it becomes de facto. I’m informed that there’s a Bendigo Cup public holiday in Bendigo though.

(I’ve been so insulted by people describing Aussie Rules football and Australia’s/Victoria’s/Melbourne’s obsession with it as “parochial” that I will be as parochial as can be, and assume everyone knows everything about Melbourne, including the fact that I’m referring to it. So what if no-one else has ever bothered to learn to play Football well? That’s hardly our fault, is it? Why is it “cultural” if they do it, and “parochial” if it’s us? I’ll interrupt myself here because I’m probably getting boring, but it’s another rant I’ve wanted to have…)

22. Alexander McLeay
    June 12th, 2006 at 22:18 | #22

Steve shouts from a pub: I don’t see the point of public holidays when so few people have the day off, and even less people seem to observe (or care for) the reason for a holiday.

I’m sure it was simply that everyone in town who had the day off turned up, but where I work it was substantially busier than on a normal Monday. (In fact, it was busier than most Sundays at this time of year by my reckoning, and we do most trade on the weekend.)

O’course, they had to pay me 250 per cent compared to otherwise to get me to turn out today, or else I woulda had better things to do with my time. (Conversely, with more customers (then a normal Monday) and less staff (than a weekend), I did more work than I might’ve­—but I factored this in to my decision.)

Think I have to say, from my perspective and evidently from a large proportion of today’s customers’s perspective, there was some point in today’s public holiday, even if we don’t all respect the Queen.

23. Bring Back EP at LP
    June 13th, 2006 at 08:37 | #23

No Guus no glory.

Ole, ole ole, oleo

Great game, what a finish what a referee!!

24. jquiggin
    June 13th, 2006 at 09:26 | #24

25. June 13th, 2006 at 09:41 | #25

Why would someone working in the hospitality and leisure industry not want public holidays?

Maybe your pub is in an area where it’s geared to “working lunches” (ha ha) and the after work crowd. But that doesn’t apply to all pubs.

26. June 13th, 2006 at 11:05 | #26

For republicans it should be quite important to promote a change in the name of this holiday. There are many people who believe that if we replace the Queen with an Australian Head of State, then we would loose a day off. It shouldn’t be a problem to do this, as pro-republican Labor are in office in all state governments. We’re going to have to do this someday, so let’s decide what we really want to do on this day.

27. JC
    June 13th, 2006 at 11:25 | #27

Most Australian media outlets seem intent on denying the legitimacy of Japan’s goal and yet refuse to acknowledge the unquestionable foul by Cahill just after he scored the equaliser. Had the referee paid more attention, Japan would surely have received a penalty, from which they may well have scored the winning goal. It’s unfortunate that the quality of the officials can have such an impact.

28. Paul Norton
    June 13th, 2006 at 11:55 | #28

“There’s no public holiday in Queensland for the Melbourne Cup.”

But those of us who can, act as though there is.

29. chris shannon
    June 13th, 2006 at 12:23 | #29

“tsk tsk chris, the next public holiday in Queensland is Christmas Day”.

Yes, quite right, the show day I was referring to is only for Brisbane.

30. Bring Back EP at LP
    June 13th, 2006 at 12:40 | #30

JC,
    That is incorrect.
    The foul was made aftr either Viduka’s or Aloisi’s freekick NOT after the goal.
    A freekick was given as it should have.

A goal was gifted to Japan when it wasclearly a freekick but who cares!!!

31. June 13th, 2006 at 12:54 | #31

do they not use Video referees much in the Soccer World Cup?

Seems like rugby league would pick something up like that.

Oh and when will we get decent robotic camera men? tracking a whiteball on a field with a bit of software and motorized servos to move the camera can’t be that hard and much better than the shoddy camera mans effort at following the ball.

Cheers

32. Paul Kelly – the journo, footy player and muso
    June 13th, 2006 at 13:10 | #32

JC is correct, Cahill came back to the Australian goal (the one with Swarzer in it) and committed a foul about a minute after he’d scored his first goal. But maybe two wrongs do make a right; I suspect the ref – having possibly watched the replay of the Japanese goal at half-time – was as relieved as anyone that Australia won.

33. Steve Edwards
    June 13th, 2006 at 15:26 | #33

” I have to admit I went to sleep with 20 minutes to go. Was I ever surprised when I woke up and read the news! ”

Bah! You old fart you, the game only finished at a quarter to eleven!

34. June 13th, 2006 at 15:27 | #34

Quater to Eleven? are you in WA by any chance?

35. Steve Edwards
    June 13th, 2006 at 15:27 | #35

Silly me! Brisbane is two hours ahead, unless you’re currently staying in Perth and forget to mention it.

36. Steve Edwards
    June 13th, 2006 at 15:28 | #36

I suppose an old codger like John making it to half-12 isn’t a bad effort.

37. Mark U
    June 13th, 2006 at 16:09 | #37

� I have to admit I went to sleep with 20 minutes to go. Was I ever surprised when I woke up and read the news! �

I managed a lot better. A few glasses of wine earlier put me to sleep for the first 70 minutes and I woke up to see all our goals.

38. Steve Edwards
    June 13th, 2006 at 16:37 | #38

You certainly didn’t miss much. It was a frustrating match to watch for all but the last ten minutes. Our passing up forward was woeful until Cahill got moving in the 84th.

39. Katz
    June 13th, 2006 at 19:20 | #39

Finally, Australia’s elected representatives are standing up to the Rodent:

A Senate committee report into planned migration changes concludes that much of the evidence received by the committee argued that the bill undermines the rule of law.

In a bizarre and cynical attack upon the foundations of national sovereignty and judicial independence, the Rodent’s bill proposed to excise all of Australia from the operation of the country’s own migration laws!

This committee had a Coalition majority. The Rodent’s executive tyranny has finally stuck in their craws.

40. gordon
    June 14th, 2006 at 12:30 | #40

The Independent (UK newspaper) has compiled its own inflation index which gives figures some 4 times the official inflation rate. The relevant article ( of 13/6/06) says:
    “Now an index devised by The Independent, and published today, appears to back that notion [that official CPI rates are unrealistic]. The index strips out items that are not essential to a basic standard of living. Thus we have taken out leisure goods and services, household services, personal goods, buying a car, tobacco and alcohol. Our index is dominated by the cost of running a home, paying for the public utilities, keeping a car on the road and basic items such as clothing, furniture and chemists goods. It is open to criticism – why include the cost of running a car but not buying it? – but it attempts to isolate areas of inflation that irk people.

While the official inflation rate the Bank of England uses to set interest rates has been below 2 per cent for 20 out of the past 28 months, our index has been above 4 per cent for 17 of those months, and higher than 5 per cent for five.

In other words non-discretionary inflation is running at about twice the targeted one – and in October 2004 showed an annual rise of 5.3 per cent, more than four times the official measure of 1.2 per cent.”

It is services, not goods, which are the culprit. The Independent suggests that the official CPI is heavily biased towards goods like consumer electronics and clothes and underrepresents service costs like electricity. The article notes:

“With gas bills surging by 25 per cent over the past year, petrol costs up by almost 9 per cent and electricity up 7 per cent, people in many households could be forgiven for thinking the government’s statisticians were living in cloud cuckoo land to conclude that inflation was in single digits – let alone close to 2 per cent.”

Interested readers need to access the article quickly – The Independent removes articles from online access after only 2 or 3 days.

41. StephenL
    June 14th, 2006 at 15:01 | #41

If so few people take public holidays, perhaps Steve at the Pub can explain how it was that almost 80,000 people watched Collingwood play relatively low support Melbourne on a Monday afternoon.

These days my working week is so erratic that public holidays make little difference to me, but at school I always found that I absorbed more information on the other days of a four-day week than on a normal day. I wonder if anyone has done a study on whether people are more productive after a public holdiday. (You’ld have to exclude this one though – any extra productivity would be totally offset by all the people asleep at their desks from having watched the World Cup.