Home > Sport > Queenslander!

Queenslander!

June 15th, 2006

Having grown up in AFL territory, I don’t follow rugby league really closely, but in Brisbane it’s impossible to avoid being caught up in the State of Origin which was, after all, essentially a Queensland creation.

I couldn’t really understand all the doom and gloom that followed the first-round loss. It was only one point after all, and if it had happened that Queensland scored the last minute field goal all the rhetoric would have gone the other way. Anyway, there won’t be anything like that after last night. NSW played pretty well, but only a consolation try in the final minutes saved them from what would have been the most crushing defeat in Origin history. A great game to watch, too, with lots of open play and daring moves.

Categories: Sport Tags:
  1. June 15th, 2006 at 10:09 | #1

The most crushing defeat in Origin history was NSW 56 – QLD 16 in game 3 in 2000. Well deserved QLD but don’t get yer hopes up. The Blues will bounce back.

2. June 15th, 2006 at 10:55 | #2

I haven’t watched a football match for years, but I did (after I had been press-ganged into it by some friends) watch, and enjoy, as a supporter of Queensland, the first two matches.

3. June 15th, 2006 at 14:06 | #3

It was easy to avoid – spicks and specks was on the ABC guest starring the brilliant Colin Hay.

4. June 15th, 2006 at 14:55 | #4

I was born in the USA as Bruce would sing, but have lived here for many years and am a mad keen Queensland fan. I share the good Professor’s surprise at the criticism of a 1 point loss in game 1, especially as it was the start of a rebuilding phase with a new coach and different looking team. Far from being the worst team in history, Queensland now has the chance to win the series in Melbourne and with 2 games in Queensland next year, of winning back to back series in 2006/07. QUEENSLANDER!!!

5. June 15th, 2006 at 15:02 | #5

it would have been the equal biggest loss by NSW, having lost by 30 points twice before and not having been held scoreless since 1995, in the famous 2-0 victory. You can tell I paid attention to the commentary! And on that subject, did Phil Gould forget to take his medication? He sounded almost supportive of Queensland.

6. Savvas Tzionis
    June 15th, 2006 at 15:23 | #6

I am such a contrarian….I grew up with and was besotted by Aussie Rules, but the last ten years have seen the artistic standards drop to the point I have not been to a match in 5 years.

Conversely, my interest in Rugby League has dramatically increased. I love the fact that the nature of the game, unlike AFL, has not changed, and that the clubs still play at their home grounds.

Furthermore, whilst everyone, including me, jumped on the Union bandwagon in the 90′s, I quickly jumped off (I was not going to pretend I understood the rules).

And, whilst, everyone is into Soccer now, I have become increasingly dismayed at the power of the European clubs. They overuse their players who, as a consequence, cannot perform at International level (ThierryHenry!!!).

However, unlike Christopher Hitchens, who did a 180 degree change with his attitude to World Affairs, I still believe that AFL is a better game than Rugby League. My September 11 style epiphany did not make me completely jump sides.

7. jquiggin
    June 15th, 2006 at 15:24 | #7

Chris, given the same winning margin, 30-0 would have been more crushing than 36-6. In ratio terms of course, all shutouts are equal.

8. Savvas Tzionis
    June 15th, 2006 at 15:24 | #8

I am such a contrarian!!!….I grew up with and was besotted by Aussie Rules, but the last ten years have seen the artistic standards drop to the point I have not been to a match in 5 years.

Furthermore, whilst everyone, including me, jumped on the Union bandwagon in the 90’s, I quickly jumped off (I was not going to pretend I understood the rules).

9. June 15th, 2006 at 18:38 | #9

“Conversely, my interest in Rugby League has dramatically increased. I love the fact that the nature of the game, unlike AFL, has not changed, and that the clubs still play at their home grounds”

Rugby League did change in the 90′s when the Superleague thing happened and it all got very ugly with both sides claiming to represent the interests of the players, fans and the game itself. It seemed to me the real message was that sport is a business and financial interests are put ahead of all others. I followed the North Sydney Bears for years (yes, I know I’m mixed up supporting Qld and North Sydney but the Bears had a beautiful old home ground) and also supported the South Queensland Crushers during their brief time in the game. They are both gone now – I must resist the temptation to support the Titans next year!!

My father remembered this sort of thing well from his childhood as a New York Giants (baseball) fan and the disappointment he and his friends felt when the franchise relocated to San Francisco. Similarly, the Brooklyn Dodgers moved to Los Angeles.

Are there studies on the economics of sport and the effect of these sorts of decisions on the community?

10. Alexander McLeay
    June 15th, 2006 at 23:47 | #10

Living in Melbourne, I have absolutely no idea about rugby in Australia, so I tried to find out what the competition was called and read briefly about it on Wikipedia. (I don’t really take much of an interest in the AFL either, I rarely watch games or whatever, but I take a passing interest in it—I have to, I’m Melburnian.)

I’m surprised to learn that even though it’s called the “National Rugby League”, there’s a team from New Zealand involved! Does this make the rugby states’ relationship with New Zealand closer than football states? (I have heard an idle comment by a Kiwi that Kiwis tend to go to Sydney rather than Melbourne.) More generally, Rugby, like Soccer, is played by other countries too. How important is this to the local competition?

I’ve also heard that the Melbourne Storm rugby team is privately owned (by, turns out, News). Is this common in the NRL, and does it make a difference to the nature of the competition?

I notice the competition seems to be dominated (numerically) by teams from Sydney. I assume this is largely historical: As the AFL comes from a Victorian competition, the NRL comes from a New South Wales competition. Does this have any relationship on how Aussie rules football fairs in NSW & Qld? How does it fair?

Thanks!

11. June 16th, 2006 at 05:56 | #11

Here is a link to Superleague (Australia) on Wikipedia, which answers some of your questions about the National Rugby League and News Limited involvement. The UK league competition was succesfully overtaken and has been called Superleague for years now. I think News also has financial interests in the Brisbane Broncos and the North Queensland Cowboys.

Yes, the number of Sydney teams stems from the growth of the Sydney competition into the national one. Yet another team I once supported and which bit the dust was the Fortitude Valley Diehards in the once strong Brisbane Rugby League. It is not easy being a fan!

12. wilful
    June 16th, 2006 at 09:21 | #12

Melbourne Storm gets a handful to its home game averaging somewhat less than 5 000, I think. Why is that? I mean, personally I cannot stand rugby league and would never go near a game, but surely if Melbourne is the self-proclaimed sporting capital of the Universe, we can support an NRL team?

13. Savvas Tzionis
    June 16th, 2006 at 11:19 | #13

Ironically, seeing that I am from Melbourne, I am not interested in the Storm.

I can’t think of a more plastic team. Financed by Murdoch, playing at a horrible venue, a city with no links with the game, and an unwarranted premiership in its second season (supporters need to feel the pain of loss to properly enjoy a win I believe).

14. wilful
    June 16th, 2006 at 15:50 | #14

The crowds for the decider in Melbourne will be interesting to note.

I want State of Origin back for footy! Ted Whitten would be gutted that this has gone by the wayside. I don’t know why, the fans love it.

15. June 16th, 2006 at 17:50 | #15

Go Queensland!

That said, having the final match in Melbourne seems like a waste of time (dare I even say ‘not Pareto Optimal). Mind you, with AFL teams employing slower play and just chipping the ball around the back row for what seems like hours on end, maybe League has a chance in Victoria after all.

16. rack attack
    July 5th, 2006 at 22:48 | #16

QUEENSLANDER! ! ! ! ! ! !
    suck on that all u blues fans…………….LOCKYER. go you good thing!!!

QUEENSLAND MAROONS – CHAMPIONS 2006 ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

17. Sean
    July 6th, 2006 at 14:46 | #17

I am a former Queenslander who has lived in Melbourne for 4 years.

I can now say that I totally love Aussie Rules. I have learned that it has a rich history and culture that goes much further than just the AFL. My club, the Demons is over 148 years old !

Aussie Rules (or “footy” as they call it here) has the ability to reach out to people from all walks of life and penetrate the daily consciousness like no other sport – it truly is the People’s Game. Rugby league with its imported English and American culture could never dream of the contribution that the indigenous code has made to this great land. I don’t care if there is no AFL world cup. You can’t help feel that it has been the heart and soul of this city going way back to when it was first settled. My only gripe is the increasingly soft nature of the game, which is aimed at making the sport “mainstream” like soccer and get as many kids playing as possible.

All that aside, it was good to see the State of Origin, but without all of the hype that surrounds it. Well done Maroons!

My family and many friends back in Queensland are all mad Brisbane Lions fans these days, which would seem bizarre to me. Although they are no longer interested in League, the State of Origin always gets them going.

18. Mr.Footy
    July 7th, 2006 at 08:44 | #18

queenslanders are queenies they always take the easy way out. u pay us out because u won. the only reason you won is because we had key players not being picked or being injured

19. mr.footy
    July 7th, 2006 at 16:17 | #19

P.s think about the ledgedary duo Mini the Man and Joey the Dashing Kangaroo they are true blue heros. yet they still sweat, bleed and breath the way we do think how we could dommonate the queenslamers any day pity ones injured and ones retired guess which ones pretty obvious

20. mark
    October 31st, 2006 at 13:10 | #20

I am dismayed reading the 19 previous posts at the overall lack of understanding of the various codes of ‘football’ played in Aus. Let me start by providing distinct names for each, first football (soccer) obviously the best fit for this name, then Aussie Rules or AFL, as Sean pointed out it is essentially our own game although its’ origins lie in Gaelic Football and it was initially played by cricket players (playing ‘Gaelic’ with a rugby ball) in the winter to keep fit. Then we have Rugby (Rugby Union)the traditional Rugby from which League (Rugby League) split in Sydney and hence the game is centered there.
    For A.McLeay (15/06/06) this distinction between Ruby and League is important. Rugby is the Kiwi national religion,,, I mean sport, their national team the All-Blacks has won something like 75% of all games they have ever played and national coaches have been known to make formal public apologies to the nation if their team is not performing. Kiwi’s would choose Rugby over oxygen if we could only work out how to force them into facing that choice.
    That said, from my perspective, as a fan of all of the codes listed above (having played both Rugby and League until I finished school and then a few years of Gaelic which finally allowed me to understand AFL, followed by the last 3 years playing football (soccer)), the main focus in rugby is the international competition, there is intense rivalry between AUS, NZ and SA and I think we all hate the English, the holy grail is the world cup, in contrast to this, at least in my opinion, the most important event in League is the state of origin, which is followed closely by the NRL premiership, I am yet to see a test match or even an entire tour that even goes close to either of these.

Finally I would like to address the two postings from mr.footy, I have never seen a Queensland team take the easy way out, for quite some years now we have gone into the origin series well under the weight of NSW both physically and in terms star individuals and yet we have consistently hung in matches to the death, no doubt you as a NSW supporter know as well as anyone how good the maroons are at stealing a game in the dieing seconds if not after the siren with a conversion from the sideline to win by 1 (Mal!! :P ). As for key players not being picked, that is up to the coach / selectors whose opinions hopefully count for more that yours and places the blame for loosing squarely on the NSW camp as a whole, although injuries are an unfortunate part of the game as we would all love to see the best from both sides on the field they are an issue both sides face.
    As far as the ‘legendary duo’ is concerned, yes the Johns boys are an awesome threat to be reckoned with, however they are in the past, think of how QLD would domminate every game if the likes of Wally (the king), Mal, Gene Miles, Alfie, Renouf, Fatty, Shearer and the list goes on didn’t get old and retire. If all of those guys were still on the field the blues would still look like a school boys team the way they did for the first 10 years of the competition. so please go find Guss, hold his hand and both of you shut up.