Home > Regular Features > Weekend reflections

Weekend reflections

June 24th, 2006

Weekend Reflections is on again. Please comment on any topic of interest (civilised discussion and no coarse language, please). Feel free to put in contributions more lengthy than for the Monday Message Board or standard comments.

Categories: Regular Features Tags:
  1. June 25th, 2006 at 11:24 | #1

Labor needs to consider the idea of substantive media reform, aimed at shifting the test for what constitutes monopoly dominance sharply down, for the good of the country but more particularly for the good of the left and of a genuine debate that isn’t steered along by the interests of two or three incredibly arrogant individuals.

A policy you’d have no choice but to develop beforehand but announce the day after you won power, for very obvious reasons.

Just a weekend thought.

2. June 25th, 2006 at 13:08 | #2

Did anyone else watch the very best game of this World Cup: ARG v MEX. Amazing! and what a goal to put Argentina thru… to meet Germany!

What a difference in the quality from these guys, both looking and plaking like potential World Champions. Even Germany looked average in comparison. England has no chance.

I love the pommies’ nickname for Peter Crouch: “Crouchygol”, bwahaaaahaaa! Also the now infamous “Hand-of-Crouch” Shocker!

England were very lucky to come first in their group (and Sweden and Paraguay too crap to change it!), otherwise this could have been their path.
    I wish!
    As it is, they only meet the winner of those in the final, and instead Ecuador in their next knock-out game. Go Ecuador!

Meanwhile, if Oz can get a win against Italy (totally possible!) and on paper a very easy next game: Switzerland or Ukraine. Both having looked disapointingly out of form. Let’s go SOCCEROOS!

3. Bring Back EP at LP
    June 25th, 2006 at 14:36 | #3

Yes a sensational match. Mexicans played way above themselves and the Argies were lucky to go on. Their defender should have been sent off!

A wonder goal to win.

Yes we can beat the Azzuri because we are good enough, we have great self belief, we have the better coach, we will start getting better referring decisions ( call me cynical but I can’t see FIFA liking Italy getting through given the bribery situation.
    We will beat Switzerland and after today we may even give the Argies a good go!

4. Paul Kelly the footy player and journo
    June 25th, 2006 at 14:37 | #4

Anyone else think the PM’s soccer ‘jump for joy’ was not just staged, but faked, in that it was filmed not at the moment the goal was scored was some time afterwards?

Anyway, it was cringe-worthy.

5. Seeker
    June 25th, 2006 at 19:24 | #5

Paul Kelly:

I thought that too, the moment I saw it, and so did the two others watching it with me. It wasn’t just a standard opportunistic photo-op, it was a outright fake, green and gold track suit and all.

Howard’s version of the common touch, I guess.

Cringe-worthy plus.

6. Peter Evans
    June 26th, 2006 at 00:03 | #6

The Australian soccer (football, whatever) team is getting the treatment the African teams have had to put up with for the last 20 years, referee-wise. I think there’s a deep down assumption in the culture of football in Europe that if you’re not European or Latin American than you can’t really play, you’re a hack and you play violently (without brains, as opposed to violently, the Italian way). Rubbish, of course, even after the likes of George Weah have strode the football world.

Also, er, FIFA would really like the teams from the big football television markets to stay in it for as long as possible. Shame about the Japanese, but the refs did try… (The US doesn’t count.) So I think there’s an implicit directive to the referees to featherbed the big teams through the first stage, at least.

-peter

7. Terje
    June 26th, 2006 at 00:21 | #7

I would have thought that with the emergence of blogs and the Internet in general any concerns about media concentration would be less now than at any time in the past.

It is interesting that you seem to make the freudian slip of putting the interests of the left before the interests of the country. So much for the collective good.

8. June 26th, 2006 at 09:28 | #8

Sure Terje, out in the marginals they’re all up on the latest quiggin and larvatus prodeo posts, as they sit eating their bio-organic brekkies and reading bloglines on the family notebook.

I didn’t put it ‘before’, I identified it as a ‘more particular..’ concern. I identified it as a concern for both. It is more particularly a concern for the left because there is no-one with anywhere near the influence and monopoly dominance of Rupert Murdoch pushing such overt attacks on the government’s policy as a personal expression of their political beliefs.

At mine, where I’ve posted on this topic, the first comment agreeing with me is from a conservative commentator. Look also at Modia Minotaur’s quality post on this.

I don’t see that the ‘collective good’ is being pursued by extraordinarily powerful and arrogant unelected individuals shamelessly directing the editorial line of newsmedia that have, in some parts of the country, close to a monopoly.

9. June 26th, 2006 at 20:52 | #9

hoWARd’s jump and pretence of watching the Socceroos couldn’t be any lamer if he tried. It’s already been made fun of in the footy shows and by most of my friends and the cafe near my work. Sooooo lame!