Home > Mac & other computers > Ipods and irony

Ipods and irony

September 17th, 2006

Christopher Breen writes

Far and away, Playlist’s most popular story is Two-way Street: Moving Music Off the iPod, a tutorial, as the name hints, on copying music from an iPod to a computer. (Who knew iPod users were so plagued by hard drive crashes that forced them to use these techniques for recovering their music libraries? I mean, why else would you need to do this?)

He’s teasing, I know, but you can count me as an example. I had a hard disk crash and lost all my music files, and had huge problems recovering them from the iPod.

Categories: Mac & other computers Tags:
  1. gordon
    September 17th, 2006 at 09:43 | #1

Funny, I’ve never had that problem with my vinyl records or tapes or CDs.

2. jquiggin
    September 17th, 2006 at 09:55 | #2

In one form or another (melting, tangling, scratching, getting out of tune) I’ve had crash problem with all the musical media I’ve used. I guess I’m just unlucky.

3. September 17th, 2006 at 12:45 | #3

jquiggin – my wife’s ipod has crashed a couple of times however the songs, playlist and artwork are all on the computer that you use to update the iPod. Do you mean the host computer failed? I just back up her music to a USB disk drive every now and then just in case.

4. September 17th, 2006 at 13:56 | #4

What? You can’t just drag mp3s to and from the ipod like with any other hard-disk based mp3 player? Really?

I thought Apple products were supposed to be straightforward and intuitive. Bi-zarre.

5. jquiggin
    September 17th, 2006 at 14:19 | #5

‘Do you mean the host computer failed?”

6. econwit
    September 17th, 2006 at 15:36 | #6

We had a lot of trouble with my sons Ipod. It was replaced under warranty and six months out of warranty the replacement died. A very expensive lesson for my son in designed obsolescence.

7. nasking
    September 17th, 2006 at 18:53 | #7

Sorry to hear about your ‘hassles’ Christopher. After I download from Emusic (legal, subscription-based alternative music site incl. jazz) onto the computer, I then ASAP burn the lps & songs to CD (legally allowed one copy as Emusic pays the labels)…had the computer crash on me in 2000 & lost hundreds of songs…never want to live thru that frustrating experience again. So can empathise completely. Real bummer.

NP on random: Boards of Canada: Music Has the Right to Children, Xiu Xiu: The Promise, Low: The Great Destroyer, Bjork: Vespertine & Dirty Three: Horse Stories…bliss!

8. nasking
    September 17th, 2006 at 18:55 | #8

>>Sorry to hear about your ‘hassles’ Christopher

Make that John…long night…:)

9. mat
    September 17th, 2006 at 19:22 | #9

iPOds truly are one of the worst devices ever!

iTunes is even worse than the iPOD – give me a generic mp3 player and Windows Media Player anyday!

10. September 17th, 2006 at 20:05 | #10

Brand = iPod. There’s the problem. MP3 players *without DRM* are a commodity item now. If you really want your Chinese made, American banded product and still have hassle free transfers of data avoid DRM formats like good old MP3. Seems most ipod users in the UK already do -

11. September 17th, 2006 at 20:07 | #11

ERROR in last post

should read “and still have hassle free transfers of data then avoid DRM formats and stick with good old MP3.”

12. September 18th, 2006 at 10:27 | #12

jq – “Afraid so, and I was unwisely counting on the iPod as backup for the music files – the work stuff was all properly backed up with several layers of redundancy.”

After many years working with computers I never trust anything. As long as you keep in mind that ALL hard disks will fail eventually you are usually OK. I backup to multiple sources fairly regularly. The biggest hassle I will face if (when) I have a hard drive crash is re-registering all the programs I have bought.

Another way to limit losses is to have 2 hard disks. I have a smaller 40G for my system drive and a larger, now too small, HD for data files. This way a single HD crash will not bring the whole thing to a halt. I think I will carry on this setup on my next PC that I build.

13. Jill Rush
    September 18th, 2006 at 20:03 | #13

I had a conversation about MP3 players with some teenagers. When I mentioned IPod I was informed with the assurance of the young that everybody knows that they only outlast the year’s warranty period by a number of weeks. They had many examples to give me of the truth of their statement. The advice I was given is never buy one.

14. A P Parker
    September 18th, 2006 at 22:59 | #14

As always the iPod FUD flows. My 3rd Gen iPod is still working as well as it always has after 3 years and I am sure that the countless number of people who have no need to complain about the quality of their iPod (as there is nothing to complain about) overwhelms the small numbers who do. Anecdotal evidence would seem to bear this out as not everyone I see with the little white buds stuck in their ears seems to be carrying the latest models. Given the volume of iPod sales there are bound to be some problems out there.

As for losing everything in a hard drive crash on the host PC. For music ripped from CD’s you own this is the perfect opportunity to re-rip at a higher bitrate. For music purchased online, like others have said, backing up is wise, though it seems to be an open secret that a polite email to apple explaining the problem and they will let you re-download anything purchased from the iTunes music store (see: http://www.lifehacker.com/software/itunes/redownload-your-lost-itunes-music-176323.php) .

15. Mr.Footy
    September 24th, 2006 at 16:18 | #15

mayb it works but what about ipods beyond 3rd gen, most problems are usually battery probs or (for nano) screen problems. apple should consut with this