Home > Life in General > Father-son shave

Father-son shave

March 12th, 2007

The World’s Greatest Shave appeal has reached $3,365.10. I’ve promised 500 words in praise of mathematics (this will be easy, as soon as I get a moment) and there’s still 500 words on offer if any libertarians or conservatives out there want to donate $250.

It’s now time for a new incentive and my son Daniel has bravely offered to help. He’s 17 and has just grown quite an impressive beard. He’s now offered to join me in the shave on Saturday. Before and after photos will be published if we can reach $4000.

To donate, just click here or send me a cheque at School of Economics, University of Queensland.

Update I had a nice phone call today from the chair of the Leukemia Foundation, congratulating us on our effort here. Also, the first libertarian contribution is in, with $100 from Jan Libich. Come on fans of voluntary initiative, put in another $150 and see what nice things I have to say about spontaneous order!

Categories: Life in General Tags:
  1. Jan Libich
    March 12th, 2007 at 14:15 | #1

I look forward to the photos (make sure you include the ‘before’ photos as well). Count my $100 into the libertarian category – 500 words of praise would be nice from you (for a change…).

2. March 12th, 2007 at 23:16 | #2

As much as I’d like to hear a general rant about libertarianism I gave for a more specific topic. I hope it qualifies.

Will you be shaving the top of the head also?

3. libertarian
    March 13th, 2007 at 11:04 | #3

Spontaneous order is for the ants.

I’ve contributed $150 as “Anonymous Donor”: can we get 500 words in defense of individual freedom?

4. jquiggin
    March 13th, 2007 at 11:12 | #4

OK, libertarianism definitely gets 500 words. Terje (responding to your comment on the shave site) I must admit I’d never heard of the Banknotes Act of 1910, but I guess you want me talk about private money. I’ll include that in the post, along with more general stuff.

5. March 13th, 2007 at 12:51 | #5

I’m interested in why we still effectively ban promisory notes. The local subsiduary of NAB is still free to issue them in Scotland and it does not seem to cause any harm there. Prior to 1910 government issued currency (issued by the states) circulated in parallel with bank issued currency (as still happens in Scotland). Why can’t we try a little freedom. Nobody has to accept bank notes if they don’t want to. They were never legal tender and they still aren’t in Scotland.

6. melanie
    March 14th, 2007 at 18:45 | #6

Nobody has to accept bank notes if they don’t want to.

Except gullible foreign tourists. I was once given a 20 kroner note by a cashier in a supermarket in Norway. I found out that no such note existed when I tried to change it into Swedish kroner at the border. My guess is that having a monopoly (or oligopoly) on the issue of banknotes increases confidence in a world of imperfect and asymmetrical information.

7. March 14th, 2007 at 22:49 | #7

Except gullible foreign tourists.

Which bank did it say it was issued by? My guess is that it was not a bank note, but probably a novelty item designed to fool the gullible. I’m sure the same could happen here or anywhere else irrespective of what prohibition prevaled.

Would you know whether to accept the coin pictured at the following link?