Home > Regular Features > Weekend reflections

Weekend reflections

May 11th, 2007

Weekend Reflections is on again. Please comment on any topic of interest (civilised discussion and no coarse language, please). Feel free to put in contributions more lengthy than for the Monday Message Board or standard comments.

Categories: Regular Features Tags:
  1. gaddeswarup
    May 12th, 2007 at 14:54 | #1

I did not realize the difficulty of raising children until one of my daughters became a mother. Afterall, my wife is somebody else’s daughter. Mother’s Day Wish: “Increase workplace flexibility for mothers”.

2. dave
    May 12th, 2007 at 15:18 | #2

Hey Guys, is anyone interested in forming a new political party for Australia?
    I was thinking we could be : in favor of deregulation, a simplified tax system, small government, less govt spending, civil liberties, personal responsibility. We would also support the free market, and strongly oppose cronyism in government appointments and monopolies.

I haven’t thought of a name yet to sum all that up, but we would be very liberal in outlook: maybe we could base it on that. Any suggestions?

3. Smiley
    May 12th, 2007 at 19:21 | #3

What about the Small L liberals!

In other news, Michael Moore is under fire for taking 911 first responders who are currently suffering various ailments (including Mesothelioma) to Cuba for treatment.

How dare he show that one of the world’s poorest countries (Cuba) has a better health system than the worlds only super-power!

4. derrida derider
    May 12th, 2007 at 20:10 | #4

dave needs to join the Liberal Democratic Party. Not my cup of tea, but chacun à son gout.

5. May 12th, 2007 at 23:04 | #5

Derrida Derider is correct. The LDP stands for all those things.

6. May 12th, 2007 at 23:10 | #6

Rupert Murdoch is now openly indicating that his media empire will be used to sell AGW to the masses. I’m trying to figure out if that means a specific policy of editorial bias.

7. dave
    May 13th, 2007 at 01:51 | #7

Hey, look, maybe I should flesh out my ideas more.
    I was thinking that, in Australia, we’ve got the Labor party, which believes in social welfare, trade unions, and some intervention in the economy.
    Now, wouldn’t it be great to balance that with a competing party which believes in small government, low taxes with an efficient and simple tax system, strict limits on government advertising (this should only rarely be done), and no pork barrelling or vote buying whatsoever.
    This party should also strictly not do deals for mates and cronies, such as special interests like the Nationals, surgeons and pharmacists, and not go around buying votes.

The party would believe very strongly in civil liberties, and be ‘liberal’ in nature (which could also form the basis of its name). In fact, its just crazy that no ones ever thought of inventing such a party ?!

8. May 13th, 2007 at 03:17 | #8

I assume dave is taking the piss.

He describes the LDP, suggests it should have a name with “liberal” in it, talks about civil liberties and low tax and then pretends he doesn’t know about the LDP after two people already tell him.

But hey… I’ll take the free advertising ;)

9. dave
    May 13th, 2007 at 23:43 | #9

Hi John, yes, I was (not very skillfully) trying to ‘take the piss’.

The modern Liberal party has simply become a big government ‘brokerage’ party, competing with Labor to bribe its way to maximum votes with no real policies.

Its interesting that there also seems to be a convergence here, with people such as yourself and the LDP, and other free marketers like Skepticlawyer, coming on to Quiggins site, and often finding common ground,despite Quiggin being seen as more on the left.

In other words, a lot of people are getting fed up with the cosy big government duopoly we’ve now got in Australia. Sort of.

10. derrida derider
    May 14th, 2007 at 07:00 | #10

dave, you’re right that libertarians and the so-called “luvvies” have much more in common than either seem to be willing to concede, and that neither are well represented by the major parties.

But the latter is because neither set of views is all that popular amongst the population at large. Concern with civil liberties, for example, is very much a minority view – most people are “hang ‘em high” types.

11. May 14th, 2007 at 10:02 | #11

Dave,

The small government free marketeers come onto the Quiggin site because John Quiggin manages a site that is open to debate, focused on substance more than personality and generally well run. He raises topical issues and provides a counter argument to the free marketeers. His audience is generally intelligent and sophisticated rather than passive. In order to build a good argument you need a good opponent and John Quiggin is a good opponent in such discussions as are many of the people who participate here.

However as Derrida Derider points out there is also a body of common agreement about certain civil rights issues that John Quiggin and his fans share with a large number of the free marketeers. And if nothing else John Quiggin sees arguments about freedom as being legitament even if he quite frequently sees it as being outweighted by the utility of intervention. He recently admitted that in the past he has been overly supportive of large scale interventionism which suggest to me that he is open to change. Specifically he said:-

“More generally, whereas I once used to be strongly in favour of economic planning, I’m now a lot more sceptical.”

Regards,
    Terje.

12. observa
    May 14th, 2007 at 17:06 | #12

“I did not realize the difficulty of raising children until one of my daughters became a mother.”
    Actually I realised it when I married a JP teacher. MrsO was out on duty patrolling the littlies in her Reception-Yr12 school when she spots two 15 yr old girls, from the upper school, complete with mobiles to ears, trying to sneak across to the school’s drop off zone. She hails them and its the footballers missed goal expression as they down phones and slink over. It’s Ok we’re just going to get something my mum’s dropping off says one. Well you know the rules that mum has to come to the front office during school for that and asks their names. They give their names to MrsO and then the one supposedly meeting mum says she’ll just SMS her not to bother. Oh I don’t think that will be necessary dear, seeing as how mums in Los Angeles for 4 weeks eh? And don’t worry, I’ll tell Aunty such and such about our rules so won’t make the same mistake as you have dearie. Little did miss smartypants know, that MrsO teaches her Reception sister and knew all about Aunty from interstate minding the family(6 kids I think)while mum and dad enjoyed a special holiday break in the States. Aunty was all ears too when she came to pick up littly!