Rain

June 6th, 2007

Something we haven’t seen in a while here in Brisvegas, but it was different back in the day …

Festival Hall In Flood-1

More up-to-date observations from other parched Brisvegans, Kim and Jo

Thanks to Bill Bunting for the photo

Categories: Environment, Life in General Tags:
  1. Hal9000
    June 6th, 2007 at 17:45 | #1

Ah,the Festival Hall,sadly missed. I can’t remember, nor can I make out from the picture, what the building formerly known as the Bavarian Steak House, now Pane e Vino/Gilhooley’s was then. :-[

2. Ian Gould
    June 6th, 2007 at 19:21 | #2

Hal, I think it may already have been the Bavarian Steak house by then.

3. jquiggin
    June 6th, 2007 at 19:53 | #3

I’ve eaten quite a few times at Pane e Vino, but the Bavarian is before my time.

4. Hermit
    June 7th, 2007 at 07:24 | #4

Nonetheless my hobby farmer’s instinct says we will not get the Biblical deluge needed to peg back water restrictions across Australia. These downpours run off quickly without soaking into the soil for slow release later. This is why I think Howard’s climate prevarication (now it’s ‘pledge and review’) is a miscalculation that will backfire if we face even higher level restrictions by summer.

5. Mark U
    June 7th, 2007 at 07:50 | #5

Hermit

There is no conclusive evidence that this drought has anything to do with global warming/climate change.

Making this spurious link runs the danger that when the drought breaks, everyone will relax and forget about climate change as an important issue.

6. Hal9000
    June 7th, 2007 at 08:18 | #6

The bizarre disconnect between what the media perceive as reality and yer actual actualite was well exemplified by last night’s Channel 9 Brisbane news being broadcast from Wivenhoe dam. We’ve had less than 3 inches of rain after a record-breaking drought. Any person who’d ever turned a sod in the back garden could tell you that 3 inches is just going to moisten the top foot of dessicated top soil, and that runoff will be next to nothing. What on earth were they expecting at 9? Noah’s ark to float by?

7. Hal9000
    June 7th, 2007 at 08:21 | #7

Ian Gould – straining my eyes, I think I can make out “Chandlers Pty Ltd” over the entrance-way. Might this have been the corporate HQ for the appliance retailer, perhaps?

8. Hermit
    June 7th, 2007 at 08:43 | #8

Mark
    the GW/water restrictions link may be spurious but in the public’s mind the politics is this;
    if the rains don’t come, Howard isn’t doing enough
    if the rains do come, Howard has(again)got it right

9. Brian Bahnisch
    June 7th, 2007 at 15:28 | #9

I believe the score will be 7-8 days when it all dribbles in.

I’ve had a go at saying what it means.

This recent CSIRO research about warming in the Indian Ocean and the migration of weather systems further south does not auger well for the future.

10. Ian Gould
    June 7th, 2007 at 17:50 | #10

Hal,

I think Chandler’s HQ was in Adelaide Street where JB Hi-Fi now is.

Hermit,

The recent is actually almost ideal for minimising run-off and evaporation – low winds; cool weather and a week of sporadic light rain to soften up the soil before the major downfall.

I agree it won’t end the drought by itself but it’ll do much more to restore groundflow and environmental flows than the same rain would in a single summer storm.