Home > Metablogging > Live on air

Live on air

June 9th, 2007
Categories: Metablogging Tags:
  1. lesleym
    June 9th, 2007 at 17:21 | #1

Hi John
    Good to put a voice to that beardless face! Good vocal style too – must be all those years of lecturing.
    For as long as internet pricing remains the way it is now, I think that podcasting will be only a minor part of communication of information.
    OTOH, when you are wanting to win friends and influence people, audio recording can be bettered only by video and f2f.
    What about putting illustrations/graphics pertaining to what you are talking about on the same page?….
    Do I see before me The JQ University of Economic Sustainability? (paying its CEO more than UQ Staff Super ever will!)

2. wmmbb
    June 10th, 2007 at 10:59 | #2

Steve, at Modulator, has an update on developments in the Ipod world.I am not sure about “minor part of communicating” lesleym as there are several free downloads with, as you suggest, graphics.

3. June 10th, 2007 at 12:32 | #3

I find it faster to consume your stuff in written form than in audio form. On the other hand, I can promise that if you re-record your Bob Gregory tribute song, I will link to it.

4. lesleym
    June 10th, 2007 at 12:56 | #4

wmmbb, I was probably being a little too succinct.
    I have wireless broadband, but I cannot justify the price asked for unlimited downloads. As it is, I have to balance things out, for if I download more than 200MB of podcasting, the rest of the month I exist on a rate so slow that movies don’t even load.
    Competition policy? Ha!

5. Smiley
    June 10th, 2007 at 21:03 | #5

I currently download podcasts for shows that I simply cannot miss (like Robyn William’s “The Science Show”) and listen to them while on the train to work.

The Science Show is an hour long program (25 MB mp3) which goes to air at midday on most Saturdays. I normally miss it at this time. It takes between 5 and 10 minutes to download (512 Kb ADSL) and less than a minute to transfer onto my player. And I normally like to listen to each episode several times anyway.

I think podcasting would be a great tool for broadcasting special presentations John.

6. June 11th, 2007 at 15:21 | #6

Good on ya!

Just a small suggestion: I agree that some posts, are much easier to “digest” in written form, but there are many times that the advantages of audio and the human voice totally outclass the humble written word.

Like for great interviews and exchanges, speeches, etc.

So I imagine it being a bit of pick and match on what may suit better at the time. I hope it’s more of an expansion in your coverage, than just choosing one or the other.

Keep it coming! :-)