Home > Regular Features > Weekend reflections

Weekend reflections

October 13th, 2007

Weekend Reflections is on again. Please comment on any topic of interest (civilised discussion and no coarse language, please). Feel free to put in contributions more lengthy than for the Monday Message Board or standard comments.

Categories: Regular Features Tags:
  1. observa
    October 14th, 2007 at 03:23 | #1

Spent a week up in Brisvegas, ostensibly to attend Miss O’s Netball Nationals, although it was a fortuitous exit the morning after the GF, to avoid all those ugly fruit tingles fans. At least we got there chardsippers! Where was I? Oh yeah, with captain Bligh aboard the good ship Bounteous, watched over by a somewhat surly, mutinous crew of (Paul) Kelly’s heroes, who reckon they could run the ship better by cutting 60% of the sails and only lose 1% headway, but make that up with smarter crewing, or some such. You can forget what life in the fast lane’s like in the sleepy old Adelaide. Must have counted more than 20 tower cranes on the Brisbane skyline, not to mention the smattering of cranes from Redcliffe to Redlands Bay, building the new green office blocks and Paradise Waters, etc that run on Kyoto promises. Then there were the motorways and exits being carved all over the place. 60% reductions by 2050 eh? All that concrete. The gravel cracked with sledgehammers, the sand dug with picks and shovels and the cement cooked up in wood ovens, carted by wheelbarrows or horses to be hand mixed and lifted by shadoofs or hand winches onto those new green towers that will replace the nasty old polluting dinosaurs, built prior to the enlightenment. The mind was fair boggling at the possibilities of the green future unfolding before me, surveying it all from the balcony of a very hospitable parent’s Dockside apartment, at Kangaroo Point one evening, chilled drink in hand.

Now you have to be careful judging our progress on GW, from the Herculean efforts of in tune city slickers, so I was interested in how their country cousins were coming up to pace. Heading out to Toowoomba I cruised around Ipswich for a sticky beak in the Hyundai Getz. I know, but Europcar were a bit short of bicycles and rickshaws and I was a bit pressed for time between matches. Ipswich was largely an island of those Queenslanders sans aircons, some beginning to sport PVC cladding, spreading out in concentric circles of brick and tile airconditioned boxes, reflecting the different era fashions, ending up in last ring of rendered Tuscan ones. On the outskirts I pulled over for a break under the shade of a tree and noticed the large sign. Warning, Santos high pressure oil pipeline below, ring some 1800 number before digging. They won’t be needing that pretty soon by the looks of things I thought.

2. mugwump
    October 14th, 2007 at 06:19 | #2

Kim Beasley Sr has died.

“When I joined the Labor Party, it contained the cream of the working class. But as I look about me now all I see are the dregs of the middle class. And what I want to know is when you middle class perverts are going to stop using the Labor Party as a spiritual spitoon.”

Amen. May he rest in peace.

3. 2 tanners
    October 14th, 2007 at 08:08 | #3

The latest poll (for the Sunday Age) seems to have stepped outside even the normal sample error limits, with Labor actually gaining AFTER the death penalty ruckus.

At the same time, I’m not sure that Howard and his depressed Ministerial band have the ticker for another week of Parliamentary punishment.

I’m predicting the GG will be receiving a visitor today (and Parliament House staff will not get much overtime next week).

4. Jill Rush
    October 14th, 2007 at 09:49 | #4

The SMH has about three quarters of young people supporting Labor. The Age has a third of young people not registered to vote. If the PM calls an election on a Sunday and the poll closes at 8pm on the day the election is called – does that mean that there would be no opportunity to register for that very large group of non registrants who heavily lean to Labor?

The change in the electoral laws to exclude late registration will also prevent young people who turn 18 in the election period from exercising a vote. How many young voters live in marginal electorates?

5. observa
    October 14th, 2007 at 11:37 | #5

Life in the slow lane is getting a bit quicker in the Saudi Arabia of uranium.
    All those brick and Portland cement houses and not one of their bricks can be recycled by future generations.

6. mugwump
    October 14th, 2007 at 12:08 | #6

November 24th it is. Good speech by Howard. Probably won’t do him any good though. The loafers and spivs are on their way to Canberra.

7. Hermit
    October 14th, 2007 at 13:31 | #7

I was watching an interesting show about dung beetles when they cut in to make the election announcement. Frankly I was more interested in the beetles. Howard’s petulant speech shows he doesn’t ‘get’ short term vs long term. The miracle economy he extols may actually be making things harder for future generations. I just hope Rudd doesn’t promote any of the loonies to the front bench.