Home > Life in General > Beard or bare?

Beard or bare?

October 30th, 2007

That’s the question I asked on Facebook, and so far the vote has been unanimous for beard. Responses I’ve had in person have mostly favoured bare. So you can have your say here or (assuming there are no access problems) on Facebook.

Beard
Bare

Categories: Life in General Tags:
  1. andrew
    October 30th, 2007 at 13:36 | #1

Bare, definitely bare. But what the hell, it’s your face!

2. Sinclair Davidson
    October 30th, 2007 at 14:05 | #2

What does Mrs Q prefer? I’d go with that. Mrs D prefers bare, so my whiskers had to go.

3. 2 tanners
    October 30th, 2007 at 14:20 | #3

I reckon the beard looks better, but I personally now go bare as it’s far less itchy. If you grow the beard back, however, you can return the Ned Kelly comment to your sidebar. :)

4. al loomis
    October 30th, 2007 at 14:24 | #4

or you can oscillate, and alienate everyone, but save a lot of grooming time.

5. FDB
    October 30th, 2007 at 14:59 | #5

Beard for sure. If you like, pretend I’m a gaggle of gorgeous grad students rather than myself a hairy beast, but definitely the beard suits.

2 Tanners (say hi to Alf!) – what’s this about itching? You mean the bearder or the beardee? I’ve never had a problem myself, and the missus neither.

6. October 30th, 2007 at 15:45 | #6

I think your photos set up an unfair competition – what photo wouldn’t look better with a copy of “Uncertainty, Production, Choice, and Agency”? But I’ll vote for beard: too many grown adults today spend their time trying to look like adolescents…

7. Ian Gould
    October 30th, 2007 at 16:53 | #7

I vote beard on aesthetic grounds but in a Brisbane summer its amazing how much more comfortable short hair and either a bare face or a closely cropped beard can be.

8. October 30th, 2007 at 17:31 | #8

Agree with Ian G here. Despite working in an airconditioned environment(when the UQ computer lived in the basement of the Prentice building), my husband found that a well-trimmed (no moustache, shaved to chinline) beard was just about bearable in summer. As his hairline receded his black hair was almost symmetrically displayed around his face. You could be approaching that same situation!

9. Dylwah
    October 30th, 2007 at 17:32 | #9

Seeing as you shaved for charity, you could grow a mo durring Movember also for charity and complete the circle. I’ve been inspired by some of the full on mossies on show durring the “Its Time” clip on You tube.

I would vote beard, but are those dimples i can see in the bare photo, if you have dimples then it should be bare.

10. David Walker
    October 30th, 2007 at 17:34 | #10

I’m with Sinclair: go with Mrs Q’s preference. As the old and overrused line has it … we are interested, but she is committed.

11. cp
    October 30th, 2007 at 17:56 | #11

My vote goes for beard, but more closely cropped than previously.

12. JB
    October 30th, 2007 at 19:05 | #12

As someone who knows slightly both of your brothers Bob (I had many beers with) & Peter – keep the beard!!!! I also play hockey (veterans I might add, for an unholy alliance between ANU and the University of Canberra!) alongside one of your undergraduate classmates, who never saw you unshaven!!!! It cannot occur!!!

13. frankis
    October 30th, 2007 at 19:28 | #13

Suppose you begrudge time spent shaving but believe beards to be certain fashion death – what to do? No problem! Shave only twice a week (Mondays and Fridays for me) and enjoy both the saved time and the fact that young women today seem to quite fancy that unshaven Thursday/Sunday look. Or so I fondly think, anyway.

14. October 30th, 2007 at 22:47 | #14

Apparently the Great Victorian Beard fell abruptly out of fashion when certain irreverent young men started shouting “beaver!” whenever they saw one. However, they showed more respect to the royal family, so it hung on [sic] there until the end of George V’s reign (and isolated pockets still flourish in the form of Prince Michael of Kent).

15. derrida derider
    October 31st, 2007 at 11:12 | #15

Men should refrain from a daily act of symbolic castration. Become hirsute again.

16. Sean
    October 31st, 2007 at 12:50 | #16

If you grow it back and run a trimmer through it of a Sundee night, you’ll avoid the woollen blanket effect, but get the benefit of non-chemical SPF. That’s gotta count for something when you’re a white man in the sub-tropics.

17. 2 tanners
    October 31st, 2007 at 14:50 | #17

FDB 5

My beard always itched, and others have had the same comment. So it came off, over the spousal 2T’s objection. I strongly doubt it improved my looks.

18. October 31st, 2007 at 18:59 | #18

Beard, if for no other reason than it’s a potential carbon sink. (The particles of CO2 actually get caught in the hair and remove it safely from the atmosphere. Check it out. /a>)

19. Sean
    November 1st, 2007 at 08:50 | #19

It’s a carbon sink?!?! Does this mean I have some credits to sell to a Hunter colliery?

I’m going ZZ Top and retiring.

20. November 2nd, 2007 at 19:34 | #20

Beard for mine – but as a compromise doesn’t need to be as long. You’re very lucky to be able to produce a luxurious growth like that, so be out and proud!

21. morganzola
    November 2nd, 2007 at 22:47 | #21

Definitely beard.

I’ve met you a couple of times John (but not recently). I don’t think I’d recognise you on a train with your naked chin.

22. Stephen Hill
    November 3rd, 2007 at 18:31 | #22

Has to be hirsute.

23. September 9th, 2008 at 20:34 | #23

Rock the beard. It’s kind of amazing.

24. Jalalala
    November 18th, 2008 at 18:19 | #24

I’m more concerned about the hairdo on top of your head. Also, try a goatee.

25. Bubba
    December 12th, 2008 at 09:26 | #25

Beard! You look bad ass with it. Lots of guys want to grow something like that and will be jealous.