Home > Environment > Climate change roundup

Climate change roundup

November 18th, 2007

There’s too much happening on climate change to keep up with it all, so I’ll give some links

* In Crikey, Guy Pearse points out that in 1990 the Liberals had a policy to cut greenhouse gas emissions over the next decade. His book, High and Dry, showed where that all went. If the predicted wipeout occurs, the climate delusionists in the government’s ranks (and in its leadership) will bear a large share of the responsibility.

* The IPCC Fourth Assessment Report is finally complete, and provides a strong call for action. Here’s Howard’s response.

* Giving the lie to regular claims that the EU is not serious about cutting emissions, the EU Parliament has imposed caps on emissions from the airline industry, stronger than those suggested by the EU commission.

* A call for action from Kate Carroll of Greenpeace

* More surprisingly, the same from former NSW Liberal leader, Peter Debnam

Categories: Environment Tags:
  1. November 21st, 2007 at 08:39 | #1

Is it possible to be a climate change affirmationist and still be relaxed and comfortable about the probable consequences of global warming? That is roughly my position.

I am not all that worked up about temperatures rising by a few degrees and sea levels rising by a few metres…

Sea level rises are unlikely to be a serious issue in my lifetime (unless greenland or the west antarctic melt in hurry) but I would like to see my kids enjoy the pleasures of the Great Australian Beach well into their adulthood. What value do we as a nation place on our beaches?

One thing I can’t be relaxed and comfortable about is the desertification of Australia’s food bowl. When I see thousands of mature fruit trees ploughed into the ground, I am less than relaxed, perhaps even alarmed.

2. Brian Bahnisch
    November 21st, 2007 at 21:43 | #2

Look on the bright side, carbonsink. They might not have to go as far to get to the beaches.

There’s also the prospect of the waves rolling in right up the Queensland coast if the great Barrier Reef gives up the ghost.

3. November 22nd, 2007 at 01:50 | #3

1. Quiggin ignores argument and instead directs ad hom attacks at dissenting person.

2. Dissenting person complains about not being met with a real argument.

3. Quiggin bans dissenter.

Business as usual at Quiggin’s.

4. jquiggin
    November 22nd, 2007 at 06:09 | #4

Yobbo, before you rush to the defence of this particular troll, you might want to check out this thread from a couple of days previously, in which, unable to refute the arguments of a leading econometrician, he attacks him on the grounds that, being an academic he must be pro-Labor.

5. November 22nd, 2007 at 07:04 | #5

not all academics are pro-labor, but all are academics. that’s enough for some of us.

6. jquiggin
    November 22nd, 2007 at 10:08 | #6

Oddly enough, that’s exactly the way I feel about trolls.

7. November 22nd, 2007 at 15:10 | #7

Which is no different to what yourself and Lambert do to the other side John.

Comment pages