Home > Life in General > Cromulent

Cromulent

June 30th, 2008
.!.

Working in a Faculty of Business and Economics, I get exposed to lots of business magazines I wouldn’t read otherwise. I saw one today with a cover which urged me to “empassion my sales!”.

Being a prosaic economist, I would have thought that, as long as a business can embiggen its sales and profit margins, empassionment is beside the point.

Categories: Life in General Tags:
  1. cg
    January 30th, 2008 at 17:20 | #1

I was going to add something about ‘crapulence’ (to wallow in one’s own), but a number of online dictionaries tell me this is actually a word?

2. January 30th, 2008 at 17:34 | #2

John as anyone from Sex Ed could tell you, empassionment often leads to embiggenment.

3. January 30th, 2008 at 17:58 | #3

Ostrobogulous.

4. Donald Oats
    January 30th, 2008 at 18:12 | #4

All too sesquipedalian for me.

5. January 30th, 2008 at 19:16 | #5

Talking of businesses embiggening their sales…

I meant no harm. I most truly did not.
    But I had to grow bigger. So bigger I got.
    I biggered my factory. I biggered my roads.
    I biggered my wagons. I biggered the loads
    of the Thneeds I shipped out. I was shipping them forth
    to the South! To the East! To the West! To the North!
    I went right on biggering…selling more Thneeds.
    And I biggered my money, which everyone needs

6. Ikonoclast
    January 30th, 2008 at 20:29 | #6

Yep, and now that unfettered capitalism has biggered everything we find it has buggered everything too.

7. Jill Rush
    January 30th, 2008 at 20:33 | #7

How fortunate that English is such a malleable language and new words can be found to replace all of those which are of no use any more. Vale Snollygoster.

8. January 31st, 2008 at 09:15 | #8

You statisticians certainly come out with some doozies. Here’s a comment from the “Books that make you dumb” thread at Crooked Timber:
    Bad, bad, bad, poorly designed, unscientific study with so much multicollinearity, heteroskedesticity, and ommited vars to make a grown man weep.

Criminy.

9. Hal9000
    January 31st, 2008 at 10:36 | #9

While we may legitimately laugh at neologisms, we should weep for the useful words misused into mere synonyms: disinterested/uninterested; militate/mitigate; regretful/regrettable to name but a few. Neologisms are largely cosmetic and may be inspired: ignorant misuse is sad and chronic.