Home > Economics - General > Gender-neutral

Gender-neutral

August 8th, 2008

Via BitchPhD (69F, 31M) I found this fun site which checks (but doesn’t save) your Google cache, and looks at the popular sites you visit to predict your gender. The comments suggest both some striking hits and some big misses. I got 51 per cent probability female, 49 per cent male.

Categories: Economics - General Tags:
  1. charles
    August 8th, 2008 at 15:59 | #1

    Ummm
    Male, two kids a wife, 61% chance of being a female.

  2. Ash
    August 8th, 2008 at 16:46 | #2

    My guess is, you surf from work a lot. Ergo, no porn. That’s got to skew your results. :)

  3. August 8th, 2008 at 16:56 | #3

    Tell them you used to have a beard.

  4. ennui
    August 8th, 2008 at 17:06 | #4

    male 67%
    female 33%
    reasonable – being male AND surf at home

    Having cleared browser cache I’m now an androgenic 50/50. With this new base I will restrict porn and Ikea sites and see what the future holds!

  5. francis
    August 8th, 2008 at 17:35 | #5

    99% male. which is quite reassuring.

    Apparently realclearpolitics and wsj.com are over 1.5 male skewed, and the newyorker is 1.22, although barackobama.com is 0.68?

  6. rog
    August 8th, 2008 at 18:25 | #6

    57% female, 43% male – thats because I am not the only one that.uses.my.computer

  7. August 8th, 2008 at 19:05 | #7

    51% male. I wonder how accurate it would have been if I had not just downloaded stuff from divx.

  8. August 8th, 2008 at 21:00 | #8

    At work doing IT stuff: 100% male
    At home: 70% male

    Remember however, this isn’t meant to be a fun thing. It’s supposed to highlight a real security/privacy problem with web browsers.

  9. melanie
    August 8th, 2008 at 21:50 | #9

    What a wuss ;)

  10. been there
    August 9th, 2008 at 08:51 | #10

    Yikes! 95% male, but I’m actually female.

    Then again, I am an economist. It was the FT that really did me in.

  11. Ian Gould
    August 9th, 2008 at 23:22 | #11

    I’ve been somewhat bothered lately by the fact that, so far as you can on the net, the comments on political and scientific blogs seem to overwhelmingly be dominated by men.

    Do women choose not to comment?

    Do they find it easier to comment if they use male pseudonyms?

    If they don’t comment, why? Is it the subjexct matter or the adversarial culture?

  12. melanie
    August 10th, 2008 at 18:34 | #12

    Ian,
    Since you asked, I’ve often found the discussions here and elsewhere to belong to the ‘I can piss higher than you’ genre. Mind you, a lot of comments are very interesting, carefully argued and full of stuff that I didn’t know. But a rather high proportion are not. I have also often wondered why, on the occasions when I’ve put some serious thought into a comment it usually gets ignored (so I tend not to bother any more). I’m not assuming anything about the possible reasons for this. The only thing I’m sure about is that it is not related to my lack of expertise in the topics that JQ blogs about!

  13. Ian Gould
    August 10th, 2008 at 19:35 | #13

    Melanie, I’m all too aware that I often contribute to that pissing-contest atmosphere myself.

  14. ennui
    August 11th, 2008 at 18:42 | #14

    Interesting observation Melanie! Blog posting can often resemble late night dinner parties – every body pushing their particular viewpoint but nobody listening to anyone else – and that atmosphere almost certainly produces a pissing contest. Unfortunately the contest is not always about ideas but often simply attention! However if one is patient a pearl does occasionally emerge.

  15. rhea
    September 4th, 2008 at 22:09 | #15

    I don’t think this is accurate. 19 year old female, I’m 92% male. 8% female…

Comments are closed.