Home > Regular Features > Monday Message Board

Monday Message Board

October 13th, 2008

My backlog has diminished to the point where the Monday Message Board is up on Monday! Comments on any topic, civilised discussion, no coarse language.

Categories: Regular Features Tags:
  1. October 13th, 2008 at 16:40 | #1

One interesting thing mentioned in the Garnaut Review Final Report is “Network Infrastructure Market Failures” (Ch. 19). All of the current electricity generating assets such as dirty coal fired power stations already have electricity transmission infrastructure in place. The areas where the best renewable resources are are not necessarily near this transmission infrastructure, presenting a barrier to low emissions technology. Garnaut recommends that some money from the $20 billion Building Australia Fund should be extended to cover energy infrastructure. It will be interesting to see whether this recommendation is adopted.

2. moldelpela
  3. TerjeP (say tay-a)
    October 13th, 2008 at 16:49 | #3

But ironically one of the hot spots under consideration for hot rock geothermal is smack bang in the middle of the Hunter Valley in NSW where many of the states major existing power stations are located.

4. Jim Birch
    October 13th, 2008 at 17:25 | #4

Now that is irony.

5. rog
    October 13th, 2008 at 17:49 | #5

They have been trying hot rock in the hunter for some years – its not working out.

ditto elsewhere

6. Spam Box
    October 13th, 2008 at 18:29 | #6

My Teeth… I think it’s important that everybody focuses on my teeth

One in particular really,(L4/5?) really hurts and well quite frankly, coming straight after a nasty(lose your voice type) throat infection, I just don’t think it fair

7. swio
    October 13th, 2008 at 18:39 | #7

I caught the First Australians last night. It was very good and I recommend it to anyone who wants to really know Australia. I never knew how closely the history of European Australia is woven with that of Black Australia. Somehow, I went through my education learing that they were two seperate things.

5 minutes walk from my house is a small park named after Pemulwuy. There is a sign which says “Pemulwuy was a brave and successful aboriginal leader”. Not very informative, but sadly, it was all I knew about him until last night.

I know more about the US Civil War, the French Revolution and even Angelina Jolie than I do about the people who lived on the land I walk on for longer than civilisation itself.

How can this be?

8. October 13th, 2008 at 19:17 | #8

Re 3:

My understanding is that the rocks in the Cooper Basin are significantly hotter than the Hunter Valley (to the extent that the quality of the Hunter Valley resource is known). Marginal increases in the temperature of the resource lead to significantly higher efficiencies and less holes being required to be drilled. Drilling would be the main cost for a high enough generating capacity. Good transmission infrastructure is also important for developing the best wind and solar resources. The market failure is very real.

Disclosure: I own some shares in Geodynamics and a bunch of other renewable energy firms.

9. Michael of Summer Hill
    October 14th, 2008 at 18:14 | #9

John, the Rudd government needs to up the ante on financial institutions charging outrages penalty fees which are cripling Australian families by as much as 20 per cent of their weekly income. Time to stop the rot.