Home > Books and culture > Diminishing publication lags

Diminishing publication lags

October 23rd, 2008

Since I’ve started blogging, I’ve been very interested in the relationship between technical and cultural innovation. Among other things, I make the point that this is now a two-way street: the development of the Internet is driven as much by cultural innovations, like the manifold uses of blogs, as by technical innovation, and in many cases it’s hard to distinguish between the two.

I gave a presentation on this at the Centre of Excellence for Creative Industries and Innovation (CCi) Conference a few months ago, and was invited to turn it into a paper for a special issue of a new journal, Cultural Science.

I was very favorably impressed by the issue when it came out, and also by the interval between submission and publication, which was quite a bit shorter than I’ve experienced in the past. To be precise …

…I submitted my manuscript at 14:31:46 today and received,at 16:16:31, the announcement that the special issue, including my paper, had been published . That’s a total lag, from initial submission to publication, of 1:44:45 hours. I’m feeling a bit like a character in Accelerando.

Categories: Books and culture Tags:
  1. domino
    October 23rd, 2008 at 19:05 | #1

JQ,

Sounds impressive, but I can’t work out your timing format.

Is that meant to be a clock with a seconds display? If yes, then they announced your publication 15 minutes and 15 seconds BEFORE you submitted. Impressive indeed.

If not, then what is it?

D’oh! Fixed now

2. October 23rd, 2008 at 23:55 | #2

John,

On a quick squiz the essay looks good. It looks like the actual guts of the article you wrote with Dan the lawyer but with all the padding to get it into a legal journal removed. Am I right, or should I read your new piece for a new take on it all.

3. jquiggin
    October 24th, 2008 at 05:26 | #3

There’s a bit of evolution in relation to policy. You get a cite, for example.

4. TerjeP (say tay-a)
    October 24th, 2008 at 11:36 | #4

The technological innovation on the Internet enables the cultural innovation. Technology is an enabler not a driver. The uptake of blogs and the like is driven by ancient desires and motives.

5. Ubiquity
    October 24th, 2008 at 13:34 | #5

Results of innovation in the hands of our regulators

Cultural “innovation” at work. I hope the lagtime is prolonged ………

6. melanie
    October 25th, 2008 at 09:52 | #6

Do they eventually produce a hard copy or is the electronic version final? If so, it’s going to be a journal full of typos!

7. Alanna
    October 26th, 2008 at 00:43 | #7

What on earth do you do apart from breathing that so upsets the IPA?

Does anyone know who really funds the IPA? Rivkin is dead, Adler is diminished. Are the funders US citizens?

Can anyone tell me? They brainwash employees who all end up talking like electronic answering machines, media articles sound like a rehash, and they are so repetitive. Does anyone out there take them seriously ?

I suppose they have money to buy media coverage.