Home > Economics - General > Plea for help

Plea for help

November 7th, 2008

You guessed it, it’s a bleg(gh!). To improved the performance of this site, I need to move the blog from its current shared hosting to a different accelerated server. This involves various bits of SQL database magic that are beyond my skills. If someone can help, I’ll be happy to reward them with a post on a topic of their choosing or (if professional skills are needed) with a reasonable monetary return for their time.

The Sandlot rip

Categories: Economics - General Tags:
  1. Joseph Clark
    November 7th, 2008 at 14:30 | #1

You’d better be careful the ATO doesn’t get wind of your offer for bater. They don’t take kindly to people trading amongst themselves and not paying their cut.

2. scott
    November 7th, 2008 at 14:49 | #2

Feel free to email me with more details of what you require. I have some experience with MySQL and Apache and may be able to assist you in transferring your database and blog to a new server. However, I’d imagine that whoever is managing the new server would be in the best position to do this for you. Can’t you ask them directly?

3. TerjeP (say tay-a)
    November 7th, 2008 at 16:45 | #3

You can report JQs antisocial behaviour using the info at the following ATO website. ;-)

However I prefer that we allow people to barter quietly in the shadows. It’s one of the few ways that people can avoid the domestic trade barriers and optimise the division of labour. I always offer trades people cash payments if it helps them keep things efficient.

4. TerjeP (say tay-a)
    November 7th, 2008 at 16:48 | #4

INCOME TAX + PAYROLL TAX + SUPER CONTRIBUTIONS + GST = TARRIF ON TRADE BIGGER THAN 100%.

5. Joseph Clark
    November 7th, 2008 at 17:26 | #5

Terje,

Me too, but I try to be sensitive to the progressive tax folk. They might see this kind of barter arrangement as a tax cut for the rich.

6. Mr.H.
    November 7th, 2008 at 18:04 | #6

John,
    can you be a bit more specific, what’s the current database? what’s the new database? Is it just data migration from old to new. Do you have admin accounts to both, etc. More info the better.

7. jquiggin
    November 7th, 2008 at 18:34 | #7

I’m migrating the databases associated with two WordPress installations from one server to another. I have admin accounts for both. The management is done with Webmin and Virtualmin. More detail here

but my job is much simpler than envisaged for most people I think

8. November 7th, 2008 at 19:26 | #8

Do you just want to move some databases from one server to another? Which database system (MySQL, Oracle,…)?

9. jquiggin
    November 8th, 2008 at 07:35 | #9

In essence, I need to migrate some MySQL databases, reinstall WordPress and do whatever is needed to make DNS point to the right place. It seems simple enough, but it’s fiddly and I just get into trouble at every step.

10. joe2
    November 8th, 2008 at 12:04 | #10

…”it’s fiddly and I just get into trouble at every step.”

God that is so familiar to me, when it comes to computers. John, what you need is a teenager! I am glad you are to make the change as your great site has been playing up on me a lot lately.

11. Martin
    November 8th, 2008 at 15:42 | #11

Does not appear to be very difficult. Email me if you want to go ahead.