Home > Regular Features > Monday Message Board

Monday Message Board

November 17th, 2008

It’s time once again for the Monday Message Board. Today, I’m particularly interested to learn if readers are finding the site more responsive following the migration to an accelerated server (of course, feel free to post on any topic, but a brief comment on this point much appreciated). As usual no civilised discussion and no coarse language.*

*I hope that the coarse language I have directed at my screen when it displays 503 errors and similar is a thing of the past now.

Categories: Regular Features Tags:
  1. November 17th, 2008 at 10:40 | #1

John

I have a colleague who is interested in “the bailout of car companies in Australia and the push for more green technology”. Any analysis or links would be greatly appreciated. As an issue, it has been swamped by US election, the G20 etc.

2. derrida derider
    November 17th, 2008 at 11:20 | #2

The new server indeed seems much snappier.

3. Michael of Summer Hill
    November 17th, 2008 at 16:30 | #3

John, the latest info suggests NATO has gremlins within their system for 61 year old Herman Simm, a former Estonian defence ministry official has not only been caught red-handed passing on highly classified information to Russian Intelligence but has done enormous damage to NATO.

4. Ikonoclast
    November 17th, 2008 at 21:02 | #4

My Sunday afternoon walk was very interesting. I reached the summit of a local hill, said hill having a water tower and gigantic power pylon on top. The Brisbane storm front was at that moment just minutes from me.

I rapidly descended into a new estate in a shallow basin of land to the south. This new estate had no trees and no power poles which was very fortunate for me. Within five minutes, the rain was driving horizontally into my face. I took refuge in the lee of a five foot retaining wall. It looked sound and was capped behind by a sort of domed lawn and a solid looking house.

I sat out the Brisbane storm in the lee of this wall for about 20 minutes. Two lightnining strikes occurred within 200 metres I would say. One hit a major power pylon about a block away.

I got saturated and a bit cold near the end. The rain had small hail in it. Overall, the experience was kind of interesting.

As I walked home, more and more trees seen down approaching my abode. My abode was still standing with felled gum trees all about it but none actually on it. The wife made a joke when I turned up, ‘Looks like I don’t collect the life insurance.’

I hope all Brisbane Quiggin bloggers still have a roof… and partner, friends etc who don’t worry too much if you sometimes do silly things. It’s boring to be sensible all the time. :)

5. Hermit
    November 17th, 2008 at 21:23 | #5

Cool the Preview button works instantly.

KR I’ve bookmarked a few blogs that follow green car issues and car industry bailouts and none is comprehensive on Australia. I’d get your friend to internally search Green Car Congress, The Oil Drum and some of their linked websites.

I wonder if storms are more frequent or severe or we just think they are. I guess the fallen trees wouldn’t be so well grown if this was ‘average’ weather.

6. Smiley
    November 17th, 2008 at 22:10 | #6

As hilzoy and others have suggested over at Obsidian Wings, the way that banks have been able to avoid quantifying risks is at the heart of the credit crunch. Bankers have been eager to take a cut, but have in recent years decided not to fulfil what has traditionally been their primary role in the process… measuring the risk.

If any regulation is required it should be aimed at limiting bankers ability to pass on risk without properly quantifying it. That’s what they’re paid big bucks for isn’t it?

Maybe limiting the number of times that securities can be resold will also help. I may be a bit naive in this area, but if regulation raises the cost of borrowing… too bad. Bankers have proven that they cannot be trusted.

7. November 17th, 2008 at 22:55 | #7

The new server is much better. Thank you – it was keeping me away, and the poorer for it.

8. November 17th, 2008 at 23:24 | #8

Seems to me to be loading much faster!

9. tin tin
    November 18th, 2008 at 00:02 | #9

It seems the support base for a commodity standard isn’t limited to crack-pots, Ron Paul supporters and observa. They have senior ex-central bankers to wave their flag too.

10. tin tin
    November 18th, 2008 at 00:07 | #10

John, your site certainly appears quicker.

11. observa
    November 18th, 2008 at 07:55 | #11

The top brass were thinking of sending in the navy Ikon but alas, ABC Learning and all that you understand-

‘NAVY chiefs have ordered a two-month shutdown over Christmas to combat a defence force staffing crisis.
    All ships not deployed on operations have been ordered home for Christmas in an unprecedented step to address a shortfall of 2,020 trained personnel, Fairfax reports.
    The navy will reduce the number of sailors forced to stay on board ships docked in their home port on “duty watch”.
    The number of sentries will be reduced, while sensors and alarms will be used to guard the ships.
    All local commanders have been ordered to allow personnel affected by the ABC Learning childcare crisis more flexible working arrangements.
    They will be able to work from home if necessary, until they have found alternative care.
    Defence relies heavily on ABC Learning for childcare services for its workers.’

I was going to suggest retraining finance sector workers but perhaps they’ve already rejected them as unlikely to be able to keep ships afloat in troubled times.

12. observa
    November 18th, 2008 at 08:04 | #12

‘Admiral, Admiral the Indo Armada are coming!’

‘Relax boy, plenty of time to sort out the missus’ childcare problems, rescue Ikon and win the battle.’

13. Steve
    November 18th, 2008 at 08:28 | #13

No more (commercially mature) australian made solar panels any more:

who to blame? BP? Government? Cheap manufacturing in India and China? I don’t know, but its sad.

14. observa
    November 18th, 2008 at 08:46 | #14

‘BP Solar is a material part of BP’s Alternative Energy portfolio, and it needs to compete for investment and demonstrate profitable returns, just like our other businesses in the BP Group. Faced with a tough external environment, and an increasingly competitive solar market, we are focussing hard and listening to our customers.”‘

Code for our panels are too dear now (and won’t get any cheaper with those Rudd emissions caps) so we’re off to China. Ah well, perhaps we can buy them on carbon credit.

15. Smiley
    November 18th, 2008 at 19:34 | #15

every part of capitalism is a contest to extract maximum value from a transaction, and participants should serve an apprenticeship with a lebanese rug merchant before dealing with the desperadoes of banking.

What a glib assessment of the complex and intricate world we live in. As if every transaction can be compared to the mundane purchase of a rug. I suspect a libertarian world view. And as I’ve said before in a world run by libertarians everyone turns out to be a desperado.

16. Alanna
    December 2nd, 2008 at 21:18 | #16

I agree server seems faster. Smiley said

I dont believe banks havent been able to quantify the bad credit. I think they are just looking for ways to hide it or to release the info slowly.
    As for Eddy Groves and ABC – he always looked like a sheister. He has the same technique thats been run past Australians a few times now (we come back for more) – lots of hype, lots of news, a rapidly growing organisation that no one has heard of before, one extremely rich relatively young entrepreneur, lots of gossip in the social pages and we fall for it again.

Even Jodie Rich managed to pull two major scams off. How ever did he get back up again to run Onetel? He crashed another computer company the very same way in the eighties. Stay tuned – it must be time for either Rich or Adler to recycle the next big scam on unsuspecting innocents?