Home > Regular Features > Weekend reflections

Weekend reflections

August 23rd, 2009

It’s time again for weekend reflections, which makes space for longer than usual comments on any topic. As always, civilised discussion and no coarse language.

Categories: Regular Features Tags:
  1. Rationalist
    August 24th, 2009 at 21:39 | #1

@Tristan Ewins
    But we can’t afford it? Rudd will be raising the pension age and I wouldn’t be surprised if further pension age increases to 70 years is on the cards.

2. Michael of Summer Hill
    August 25th, 2009 at 08:28 | #2

Crikey John, now a minister claims Malcolm Turnbull is the political doppelgänger of Kevin Rudd. Not sure how the Minister for Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs would take it if the same minister claimed Abbott was the political doppelgänger of Macklin.

3. Michael of Summer Hill
    August 25th, 2009 at 14:55 | #3

John, I have to agree with Geoff Corrigan that Premier Rees should call the bluff of those wright whingers that keep destabalising NSW Labor.

4. Michael of Summer Hill
    August 25th, 2009 at 20:11 | #4

John, it looks like the coal industry will be as happy as little vegemites when India’s Union Minister of State Coal Sriprakash Jaiswal steps on our shores for he is desperate to get his hands on all the coal he can get to make up the expected 70 million tonnes shortfall next year.

5. Rationalist
    August 26th, 2009 at 06:39 | #5

@Michael of Summer Hill
    Doubling capacity within 6 years I think I said earlier, deals like that will ensure capacity will be utilised very well.

6. August 26th, 2009 at 09:13 | #6

“Rudd will be raising the pension age and I wouldn’t be surprised if further pension age increases to 70 years is on the cards.”

About time.

7. Alice
    August 26th, 2009 at 10:41 | #7

Moshie – I hate to be the one to break the bad news but it appears the puppet masters in the mates states have stuffed Rees in a box somewhere and are probably disposing of him as we speak…keep it up boys (Obeid and co)…another “mate” bites the dust. They are pallbearers at their own funeral.

8. Alice
    August 26th, 2009 at 10:42 | #8

Moshie – I hate to be the one to break the bad news but it appears the puppet masters in the mates state have stuffed Rees in a box somewhere and are probably disposing of him as we speak…keep it up boys (Obeid and co)…another “mate” bites the dust. They are pallbearers at their own funeral.

9. Alice
    August 26th, 2009 at 10:45 | #9

oops – a double yoker

10. Ken
    August 26th, 2009 at 11:28 | #10

Rationalist, you say ‘my skill area (energy policy, infrastructure) is good and sound’ and yet you appear profoundly ignorant about climate change. I don’t see how you can have ‘good and sound’ knowledge on energy and not be aware of the projected costs and consequences of climate change; we aren’t talking about extreme green spin here, but the current best science from the world’s leading scientific agencies. In light of what we know about climate anyone who isn’t deeply concerned over massive expansion of the use of fossil fuels can’t have good and sound knowledge of the issues around energy and infrastructure. If your views are based on belief that climate change is cute, a fad, an extreme left-green beat-up and not updated since the popular press misrepresented the science of the 70′s I’d easily go as far as calling them irrational. Such views indicate to me a wilful disregard for what is known about climate.

11. Rationalist
    August 26th, 2009 at 13:12 | #11

@Ken
    Climate change, so that is what happens when I change the settings on my air conditioner? :P

The fact of the matter is, not much is changing and what is changing is doing so very slowly. There are various schemes around the world and in Australia to cut emissions but in the countries that matter to us, ie. China, US, Australia, etc etc, the schemes are what I would describe as a “gradual stroll towards the goal of maybe having lower emissions some time in the future”, and that doesn’t include China which are increasing their coal generating capacity by the size of Australia’s coal generating capacity every few months.

12. Michael of Summer Hill
    August 27th, 2009 at 13:26 | #12

Update, Update, Update, Premier Rees’s leadership is safe. Pundits tall stories were all bulldust.

Comment pages