Home > Regular Features > Monday Message Board

Monday Message Board

November 30th, 2009

It’s time, once again for the Monday Message Board. Post comments on any topic. As usual, civilised discussion and no coarse language.

Categories: Regular Features Tags:
  1. wilful
    November 30th, 2009 at 12:17 | #1

Well i think we’re all just sitting around waiting for tomorrow’s vote, aren’t we?

In the meantime, watch polar bears falling from the sky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxis7Y1ikIQ

2. Donald Oats
    November 30th, 2009 at 12:35 | #2

@wilful
    Indeed. I’m catching up on some sunshine – indirect of course, slip-slop-slap and all that – and some reading. Am also awaiting delivery of Stephen Schneider’s “Science as a Contact Sport”, which I ordered after the theft of CRU emails and data. Seemed appropriate.

BTW, if the theft of CRU email/data was an external hacker job, then this leaves open the prospect of it happening to other scientists. If so, that would be a frightening development indeed.

3. Graeme Bird
    November 30th, 2009 at 12:48 | #3

Why do you think so Donald? I mean its an invasion of privacy sure. But why do you think it would be particularly frightening in this case?

4. John Armour
    November 30th, 2009 at 13:15 | #4

I just had to pass this on. From Hansard on 28/10/09. Danna Vale on the CPRS.

You couldn’t make this up:

“Mrs VALE (Hughes) (6.53 pm)—I oppose
    these Carbon Pollution Reduction
    Scheme bills because they are driven by fantasy
    and deceit. Even the very name of this
    legislation is a deceit upon the people of
    Australia. Carbon is not a pollutant. It is a
    potent fertiliser and up until now a free fertiliser
    at that. At the outset I say that it is madness
    and morally reprehensible for the Rudd
    Labor government, and indeed for the wellfed
    Western democracies, to take actions that
    intend to limit, capture and bury a free fertiliser
    like CO2 and thus deny the billions of
    undernourished people in the developing
    world a free 20 to 50 per cent increase in
    food production as well as increased rainfall
    in a world that is experiencing water shortages
    as populations increase.”

5. John Mashey
    November 30th, 2009 at 14:38 | #5

I recommend Eli Rabett’s amusing take on Enraged Oz wild camels or another Marauding Camels to be Rounded Up and Strafed From Helicopters, Palin Style. I will admit that invasions of marauding camels is a new addition to the impacts of AGW, at least limited to only a few geographies.

Donald: SaaCS is indeed good, and I recommend it for anyone.

6. Graeme Bird
    November 30th, 2009 at 20:17 | #6

I want to go into this dogma of the “efficient market.” That is to say the efficient stock market. To say that something is efficient would normally seem to imply that it cannot be a great deal more efficient. The actual theory is a movable feast now. It doesn’t subscribe to reality, so the proponents have bid away their claims to the point where all they are saying is that we go into the market to make a profit. But the proponents are sneaky. They duck and weave and roll their eyes a lot.

In the normal English usage an efficient market would mean that it cannot be a great deal more efficient (or more properly “effective”) in terms of its resource allocation. I contend that our stock markets are hopeless in this regard. And so to nail this problem down I will show how our markets could be powerfully more effective then this casino and numbers rackets that we have going at the moment.

7. Chris Warren
    November 30th, 2009 at 22:04 | #7

If carbon is such a life giving substance why don’t we send Dana a bottle of carbon monoxide to inhale?

Then we’ll only need 6 Liberal votes to get the legislation through.

8. SJ
    November 30th, 2009 at 22:20 | #8

I hear that bullsh*t is a potent fertilizer, too. That doesn’t necessarily mean that anthropogenic bullsh*t is always welcome. :)

9. Chris Warren
    November 30th, 2009 at 22:25 | #9

7 years ago ……

Kingston

And we are still being suckered – “big time”.

10. paul walter
    November 30th, 2009 at 22:35 | #10

Thanks to Armour and Mashey- attack of the killer camels, yet!
    But what if the “tigers of camel elan” have surface to air missiles and set land mines to trap the COW?

11. paul walter
    November 30th, 2009 at 23:34 | #11

Amazing, Chris Warren.
    That’s the sort of writing that attracted me to that site, eight years ago.
    Great scope and much prescience.
    These days at Fairfax, the star is Miranda Devine, but I won’t say that’s a sign of those jerks running real downhill fast.

12. iain
    December 1st, 2009 at 08:36 | #12

“Senator Fielding is demanding a royal commission into climate change headed by Professors Ross Garnaut and Ian Plimer.” (Age)

lol.

I guess Labor will think a bit more carefully about senate redistributions in the future.

13. Chris Warren
    December 1st, 2009 at 08:55 | #13

Fielding is just a right-wing trouble maker.

If Rudd and Wong were proposing a Royal Commission into Climate Change Strategy, no doubt Fielding would oppose this by calling for a referendum.

If Rudd and wong were proposing a referendum on Climate Change issues, no doubt Fielding would oppose this by calling for “international action first”.

So if Rudd and Wong propose international action, Fielding naturally opposes this by calling for a Royal Commission.

Fielding is a wrecker of the first order and a patsy for the deniers.

14. Freelander
    December 1st, 2009 at 09:05 | #14

Abbott is in. Best of worlds or worst of worlds?

15. Jim Birch
    December 1st, 2009 at 09:26 | #15

The best of worlds and the worst of worlds?

16. boconnor
    December 1st, 2009 at 09:30 | #16

Abbott eh? Well, I wonder what he promised and to whom to get the votes. Interesting times.

17. John Armour
    December 1st, 2009 at 09:56 | #17

A double dissolution would be a coup de grace for the Liberal Party.

Rudd might be tempted to forego the instant gratification of a DD and leave the corpse twitching in the breeze for the full term.

I’m sure Copenhagen would understand.

18. Graeme Bird
    December 2nd, 2009 at 17:51 | #18

I just read something last night that made me feel sick. We are taking cronyism and ugly corporatism to a drastic new high. Consulting Goldman Sachs on raising all this debt for this Telephony-infrastructure project.

Why bring those thieves into it? This is humiliating. The idea would be to get back in surplus and just pay for it out of the surplus. This is irrational. Its letting all these third parties wet their beak for no reason at all. Let me tell you people, this is not compatible with capitalism or equality before the law.