Home > Metablogging > Hiatus

Hiatus

June 4th, 2010

With various commitments, I’ve been finding increasingly difficult to post to the blog, moderate the comments section and so on. Unfortunately, my commitments are only going to increase over the next few months, so I’ve decided to take a three-month hiatus, until early September. According to my current plans, I should have plenty of free time to return, refreshed and ready for more by then. No doubt things will turn up to derail those plans, but hopefully I will still be less busy than I am now.

Categories: Metablogging Tags:
  1. smiths
    June 4th, 2010 at 12:50 | #1

lazy sod, honestly,
    cant you sleep a bit less, multitask, hire some monkeys to do the cooking and dishwashing,
    first it was the ‘moon of alabama’, then last week it was ‘washingtons blog’, and now its you,
    anyone would think you guys were devoting huge amounts of your time, copping abuse and doing all this for free or something,
    (you shall be missed by me is what i am trying to say)

2. smiths
    June 4th, 2010 at 12:53 | #2

if you have time,

Abraham, like the other brave souls who have taken on this thankless task, has plainly spent a very long time on it. He investigates a single lecture Monckton delivered in October last year. He was struck by the amazing claims that Monckton made: that climate science is catalogue of lies and conspiracies. If they were true, it would be a matter of the utmost seriousness: human-caused climate change would, as Monckton is fond of saying, be the greatest fraud in scientific history. If they were untrue, it was important to show why.

3. cbp
    June 4th, 2010 at 13:04 | #3

Wow, so you don’t exist in alternate infinite time universe after all…

4. Dave McRae
    June 4th, 2010 at 13:12 | #4

Your posts will be missed. Thanks for the posts of past and hopefully you may pop one up every now and then if future events become noteworthy – Ill be checking :)

Havagoodbreak :)

5. BilB
    June 4th, 2010 at 13:20 | #5

Have a nice break. And make sure that you do not give in and sneak back.

6. CJ
    June 4th, 2010 at 13:41 | #6

Enjoy the break JQ. I’ll certainly miss your posts, and will still be checking regularly in case you make an unplanned early return.

7. Sam
    June 4th, 2010 at 13:45 | #7

Great, well now I officially don’t know what to think about anything at all. Tomorrow, if someone greets me with a “Isn’t it a nice day Sam,” I’ll have to respond with “I don’t know, John’s blog is down.”

8. Nick R
    June 4th, 2010 at 14:43 | #8

Haha same here Sam :)

9. June 4th, 2010 at 14:52 | #9

Hmm, how does this fit with the previous post “should we retire later?”

Anyway, have a good break John, I’ll take your feed down from my blog until you are back in action, raring to go like a footballer at the start of a season.

10. Fran Barlow
    June 4th, 2010 at 15:17 | #10

I too will miss your contributions. I’ve grown fond of saying “As Professor Quiggin was saying to me today …” ;-)

Still, everyone can only do as much as time permits and I wish you all the comfort that your absence can afford you.

11. David Peetz
    June 4th, 2010 at 15:30 | #11

John, I couldn’t work out how you kept this quality blog running while maintaining an excellent level of scholarship in your real job. Good on you and, like the others, I look forward to your return.

12. may
    June 4th, 2010 at 15:31 | #12

September?

but that’s months away.

oh well,it will give my tiny brain time to come up with something as witty (i thought so) as the one on p j o’rawk.

(the one you deleted)

as with everyone else,enjoy your break JQ.

13. June 4th, 2010 at 16:29 | #13

And keep after those miners.

14. Freelander
    June 4th, 2010 at 19:08 | #14

Have a good break. Looking forward to the successful launch of your book.

15. Salient Green
    June 4th, 2010 at 19:58 | #15

Thanks heaps JQ. I have an enormous workload in the same timeframe. Massive replanting of my orchard and you going offline will save me some time. If I can just get the other 15 sites to shut down for a while….

16. Donald Oats
    June 4th, 2010 at 22:44 | #16

Like many long time readers and sometime contributors, I have found this blogsite immensely rewarding for myriad reasons, not least being the diversity of commentators’ backgrounds and political leanings.

A date to remember is COP16 Cancun, Mexico Meeting, 19th Nov — 2nd Dec 2010. Or, in English, the next IPCC meeting after Copenhagen.
    While it is all quiet on the denial front, I expect that they will have a more detailed and thought out strategy for further sinking public – and government – support for action against AGW (ie anthropogenic global warming). They will be all over the print and online media well before COP 16 starts, so I hope that this time climate scientists get organised and get some decent essays and opinion pieces into the print media, TV/Pay TV/Internet media, MSN, etc.

All the best Prof Q in getting the book published, and in getting the workload back to manageable status. Look forward to seeing the blog resume in three months or so.

17. Alice
    June 4th, 2010 at 23:02 | #17

Ill miss getting censored JQ (or at least toned down)….I wouldnt mind if Terje came back to say thanx (thats what Im trying to say anyway) – at least we …Terje and I… have both been banned!

Dont worry – at least one of us doesnt hold it against you. I could do with no being stimulated quite so much and I can assure you, this blog runs absolute rings around the Murdoch press for intellectual interest.

In another life you could have been a media baron JQ!

Ive given up the news for this blog, as you have probably noticed…ooops (and I am or was a news addict ..but now I look at the front page and well it just cut it anymore)

18. Alice
    June 4th, 2010 at 23:12 | #18

Oh and it will at least give me a decent reply when hubby says “are you on that blog again??”

I will honestly be able to say “no….Im on realestate.com…so there.. and MYOB”

19. TerjeP (say Taya)
    June 5th, 2010 at 02:12 | #19

Deleted: as I said in the post, i don’t have time for this – JQ

20. Alice
    June 5th, 2010 at 08:46 | #20

@TerjeP (say Taya)
    No need for sour grapes Terje. You were the source of more than a bit of denialist echo chambering here.

21. paul walter
    June 5th, 2010 at 11:06 | #21

So John’s absence means the blog still continues?
    Who will be moderating the threads then?
    Hopefully someone with a fraction, at least of, the current moderators ability.
    Terje, wondeful peice of Imre Salucszinsky, #19, but valueless factually.
    Its precisely because these issues HAVE been discussed here, that you are miffed, at a guess.

22. John Quiggin
    June 5th, 2010 at 11:14 | #22

I’m leaving the threads open for the moment, but I don’t want to put a lot of work into moderation, so I’m going to delete Terje’s sour grapes and ask others not to respond further. Otherwise I’ll just have to close comments.

23. Ernestine Gross
    June 5th, 2010 at 14:00 | #23

Oh no, now that I almost developed a taste for studying Politics, my free lessons are going to be suspended for 3 months! Your insistence, JQ, on maintaining “The Left vs The Right” distinction was a real brain teaser for me. After months of playing with straight lines, bending them, joining them and marking a few historical events, (including the first and second welfare theorems which provide equivalence conditions at the point where a half-line approaching from the left of the hypothetical centre of social democracy and a half-line approaching from the right of the centre meet), I’ve got this idea into my head that I am looking at a multidimensional dynamic process that can be parameterised by the information set of finitely lived individuals in chronological time and geo-political space which they inhabit, such that only experts can trace trajectories from agreed points. To cut a long story short, you won’t hear me using these terms for a long time because I have convinced myself that I wouldn’t know what I am talking about in a public forum if I were to do otherwise.

Many thanks for your free education and I look forward to your book and your posts in the future.

24. Alice
    June 5th, 2010 at 14:24 | #24

@Ernestine Gross
    Ernestine – thats why Id like to recommend you for moderator in JQs in absentia as I am completelyn convinced you do know what you are talking about and furthermore you are always polite, even when others who dont but think they do think you dont.
    I seem to be often close to trouble but never the cause of it at all (is it following me??) and I dont want to make the Prof any busier than he already is.

25. Freelander
    June 5th, 2010 at 14:54 | #25

Hey, I was considering putting myself forward!

26. Alice
    June 5th, 2010 at 18:13 | #26

Go for it Freelander – Id second you and Salient and Don is …good. This is truly a horrible state of affairs – the JQ website down. I cant face going back to being a Murdoch news zombie addict.

27. Freelander
    June 5th, 2010 at 18:14 | #27

In all seriousness, I think Ernestine is a good suggestion for a moderator — that is, if Ernestine were willing, and JQ did wish to delegate moderating to someone during his hiatus.

28. pablo
    June 5th, 2010 at 19:31 | #28

I go with other comments JQ, it would be a great shame to lose continuity and I would hope you can see your way to a ‘caretaker’ assuming the job meantime. We won’t give him/her a hard time. All care and no responsibility might be the call.

29. Alice
    June 5th, 2010 at 22:47 | #29

We actually cant promise we wont give the moderator a hard time JQ – given we try the patience of Job even (even JQ) at times. But of Ernestine could just see the way clear and had a handy delete button Im sure we sould keep going with some thread topic donators?

30. Lincoln
    June 6th, 2010 at 08:28 | #30

You’ve decided to rest your brains for 3-months and hope the world will be better in 3-months. You may be off cyber space, it is unlikely that you would be granted peace by our young Prime Minister. He will give you plenty of food for thought….junk food may be, but food nonetheless.
    May your mind be at peace.

31. June 6th, 2010 at 08:54 | #31

@Freelander

“Ernestine” as moderator? Good grief … Enough said …

32. Alice
    June 6th, 2010 at 09:02 | #32

Ah Fran – who sees double.

33. June 6th, 2010 at 11:23 | #33

FTR … I see no reason for anyone apart from PrQ to moderate … deleting posts doesn’t take that much time.

If I were to propose someone for the role it would be Donald Oats, who seems an admirable, intelligent, fairminded and softly spoken fellow. Plainly, he doesn’t agree with everything I say and clearly doesn’t share my view on TOUT but I’d trust him to do the right thing.

34. robert (not from UK)
    June 6th, 2010 at 20:46 | #34

All best, Professor Q.

35. Alice
    June 7th, 2010 at 12:37 | #35

@robert (not from UK)
    I think people’s… what JQ means is that hiatus means total holiday (perish the thought). He clearly cant let the blog run untended – half of catalyx and other rather crude delusionists would be in here causing mayhem…I dont want to break the bad news to you all but I think JQ is snowed under (keep digging Prof) and we will just have to read the Murdoch biased news and quietly fume for three months (by which time we could all be zombies).

36. SJ
    June 7th, 2010 at 23:44 | #36

Make the best of the time away, John.

Hope to see you back soon.

Kindest regards
    Simon

37. BilB
    June 9th, 2010 at 10:10 | #37

Nice turn of phrase there, May @12. I got a good chuckle “but that’s months away!!”

38. Michael of Summer Hill
    June 9th, 2010 at 17:57 | #38

JQ, have a nice break and enjoy life for you live only once.

39. Tim Macknay
    June 10th, 2010 at 17:17 | #39

Have a good break, Prof Q. Perhaps by the time you return there will be the results of a federal election to unpick.

40. Marcelo
    June 11th, 2010 at 14:48 | #40

John, the cover of you book is terrible…I hope you will find some time to have it changed before you come back!

41. boconnor
    June 11th, 2010 at 16:58 | #41

Re: the cover. I think its quite fun. If it gets more people to read the book then that’s a good thing.

42. Alice
    June 11th, 2010 at 20:25 | #42

I actually like the cover.

I really liked Michael Moore wrapping Wall Street and the large banks like Goldman…in crime scene tape too….I really laughed.

No JQ – I like the cover – the greedy banks – the trickle down that impoverished the middle classes in once dynamic and healthy industrialised nations (the blood trickling down) -
    the spin, the tax cuts for the wealthy, the deregulation, the hype, the lies.

Im over it. I want my country back and governments back who can really govern and not just subcontract and rip off my taxes, governments who are not allowed to do PPS deal for kickbacks, ministers who arent rorting the public purse doing deals with mates, a private sector that knows it cant buy concessions from political parties, oh and couple of new train tracks and roads.

I think Ill be waiting a while…but the disillusionment is here and throbbing already. Everyone wants B O’Farrell to get the infrastrucrure rolling in NSW, small and large business alike …….except his own paltry party. I actually feel sorry for Bazza. If he fails …it wont be his fault. It will be the fault of his party colleagues.

43. paul walter
    June 12th, 2010 at 03:34 | #43

Do you know what *I’d like to see?
    I’d like to see Prof Quiggin representing, maybe even one day leading the Greens in government.

44. June 12th, 2010 at 13:44 | #44

I’m only a Newbie, currently doing my BA with Griffith, Internet Communications

Developing a news and everything blog, Australian current affairs are my main interest, doesn’t need to be political. Irreverent comment most welcome. :]

Kind Regards

45. June 12th, 2010 at 13:46 | #45

Sorry my All things to All People News blog is here, please visit.

46. Alice
    June 12th, 2010 at 19:07 | #46

@Keith Harding
    Keith – how do you actually find any Australian current affairs in any news these days (digital downloads and all that – I mean arent we more likely to hear about Afghani insurgencies and bomb blasts – yet a week or so ago the CFMEU headuqarters was bombed – Murdoch news – nothing at all). Instead we heard yet more about how Rudd is sinking.

You see this is tactical Murdoch – he allowed the honeymoon period for Rudd and gave him an easy ride, but now he attacks him like a rattlesnake. Murdoch wants a conservative in, even if it is that idiot Tony Abbot and now he is dong his damndest to sink Rudd before the next election.

Classic right wing media in this country. Classic political Murdoch. It stinks. He stinks. BTW – Im not left – and Im not right – its called giving the pm a fair go to do what he wants to do. Instead we get this conservative old man ultra conservative media controller thinking he can put in power who he likes, because he controls the media. This sucks.

47. Sacha
    June 13th, 2010 at 19:50 | #47

John, I’ll be interested in seeing your thoughts on Australian microeconomic reforms in the last 30 yrs in your book.