Home > Sport > Race report

Race report

November 5th, 2012

Thanks to everyone who sponsored me and Flavio Menezes for the Noosa Triathlon. I finished in 3:04:55, a personal best. The highlight was finishing in the top half (31/72) of my age-gender category for the run leg, the first time I’ve managed this in any leg of a tri. As regards the 1.5k swim, though, the less said the better. Flavio outdid himself (and me) finishing in 2:50. As you can see from the sidebar we raised $2320 for Heartkids which is really great. Thanks again!

Categories: Sport Tags:
  1. Ikonoclast
    November 5th, 2012 at 17:47 | #1

I am interested. Did you do the standard course? (Standard distance, commonly referred to as “Olympic distance” (1.5 kilometres (0.93 mi) swim, 40 kilometres (25 mi) bike, 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) run.)

I would sink with cramp about 300m into the swim so I am not making any claims or comparisons.

This link is interesting re the human running adaptation.

2. John Quiggin
    November 5th, 2012 at 17:53 | #2

@Ikonoclast
    Olympic course: Splits were 42:45 swim (appalling), 1:26 cycle + transitions (OK), 55:30 run (pretty good).

3. Jim Birch
    November 6th, 2012 at 09:57 | #3

Other factors that support the running adaptation hypothesis is our enhanced capacity to loose heat by sweating and, interestingly, our lack of strength. A chimpanzee weighing two thirds as much as a human could literally rip a human apart (and without looking particularly muscly.) In the strength-stamina trade off we are well over the stamina side. Of course, evolution is about the sum of adaptive enhancements and their physiological costs; our wildly developed capacity for cooperation and our uniquely sophisticated tool use mitigate the importance of raw strength and confound a simple stamina story.

See this talk by Daniel Lieberman for some interesting ideas around brains, stamina, strength, bipedalism and running. http://edge.org/conversation/-brains-plus-brawn

4. November 8th, 2012 at 08:54 | #4

Great effort John. Congrats.

5. November 8th, 2012 at 10:10 | #5

@Ikonoclast very interesting link there re: running, thanks for posting.

6. Jim
    November 8th, 2012 at 15:50 | #6

John

I saw you flying along on your bike near the end of the cycle leg like a man possessed (with what I’m not sure).

Well Done