Home > Regular Features > Monday Message Board

Monday Message Board

December 20th, 2004

It’s time, once again, for the Monday message board, where you are invited to post your thoughts on any topic. Civilised discussion and no coarse language, please.

Categories: Regular Features Tags:
  1. December 20th, 2004 at 09:48 | #1

So go ahead and answer the questions at http://www.politicalcompass.org/ and find out where you are on the 2 dimensional political plane.

This site sums up nicely the obvious problems with the overly simplistic classification system argued for by John Ray (dissecting leftism) and similar cohorts.

I’m a Left Libertarian and my scores were:

Economic Left/Right: -5.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.74.

As i’m in the same general area as nelson mandella and ghandi i have no problem with my scores. And its no suprise that I am diametrically opposed to margaret thatcher, and modern day cohorts such as lawrence springborg.

There are a ton of other Political peoples i’d like to see classified – for instance – Helen Clarke, Peter Costello, Mark Latham, Tony abbot, Andrew bolt and tim blair (i think they might require their own dimension) and peter beattie vs the springBORG. Imagine getting reperasentative samples of memebers from each of the major parties. Which parties would have the greatest spread of values?

sO To those simpletons that think its a simple left / right divide – think agaIn.

P.S the original thoughts for this post came from the brilliant http://troppoarmadillo.ubersportingpundit.com/, so i’m just rehacking something you may have already seen :)

2. still working it out
    December 20th, 2004 at 14:22 | #2

I got

Economic Left/Right: -5.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

It was interensting that only the signigifcant political figures the website listed who did not lean towards “Authoritarian” were the Dalai Lama, Nelson Mandela and Ghandi. All of whom are or were fighting against the political establishment. Is it necessary to be “Authoritarian” to be successful in politics?

3. December 20th, 2004 at 14:48 | #3

Nice to have you back, John…

Doesn’t everyone who does the test end up about the same spot as Ghandi? Maybe it needs spruiking.

4. cg
    December 20th, 2004 at 15:09 | #4

Yeah I also ended up

Economic Left/Right: -5.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.31

So either this blog is only visited by followers of Gandhi – or perhaps the test needs a little tweaking.

5. December 20th, 2004 at 15:57 | #5

I’ve compiled a big table of blogger’s scores on the political compass. You can compare your score here

6. Fyodor
    December 20th, 2004 at 16:10 | #6

As Tim Lambert points out on his blog, I think the test reveals the biases of the blog’s audience. JQ is a big lefty on both economic and social issues, so this blog may attract more bottom-left quadrant (i.e. Gandhi) types than the average. That shouldn’t be too surprising.

7. December 20th, 2004 at 17:00 | #7

Checking out the first page, some of the questions are so badly formulated it is hard to see how anything meaningful could emerge at the end. I have seen some of theses compasses before and they are really no more useful than the totally useless left/right classification.

8. December 20th, 2004 at 18:35 | #8

Im interested in hearing some discussion on what would have happened to the economy if Paul Keating had won in 1996 and not John Howard.

9. December 20th, 2004 at 19:58 | #9

Nic White,

The economy would probably be running fairly similarly – Labor wouldn’t have sold as many assets as the Liberals – but the GST may very well have happened. The biggest difference between Labor and Liberals is the role of unions. Both sides are sort of economic rationalists – although the liberals now appear to be obsessed with Corporate Welfare – propping up the profit margins of Health and Child Care companies. The only parties that would seriously alter the economic course of this country would be the Greens and the Nationals.

10. Vee
    December 20th, 2004 at 22:04 | #10

“However, the government has consistently ignored this option, for
    example it did not take seriously the policy program for a return to full employment put
    forward by Langmore and Quiggin in 1994.”

Taken from a paper on Regional Enterprise Zones. I was wondering if that was you Professor?

11. December 20th, 2004 at 23:13 | #11

Vee, after a bit of googling I found this. Was it what you were thinking of?

12. Vee
    December 20th, 2004 at 23:47 | #12

Yes that is it exactly. I forgot about the Professor’s website and how he keeps his papers on it. If only I had looked.

It was mentioned and referenced in

ENTERPRISE ZONES
    Creating jobs and prosperity in regional Australia
    Australia’s first major study into achieving regional equity through business-driven economic development undertaken by Dr Ian Manning from the National Institute of Economic & Industry Research (NIEIR)

13. Paul Norton
    December 21st, 2004 at 09:40 | #13

I took the test and came out as:

Economic Left/Right: -8.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97

although I think Rafe is right to complain about the formulation of some of the questions, and also about the choice of issues and the somewhat loaded formulation of options.

Also, it’s arguable that a contemporary political compass should include a third axis labelled “Green/Grey” or “Ecocentric/Anthropocentric” to measure where a person stands on issues relating to the importance they attach to the ecological imperative and the value of non-human nature relative to social and economic objectives which entail some “take” from the environment.

14. vee
    December 21st, 2004 at 12:20 | #14

Re: my earlier comment, I was incorrect

the 1997 work is similar but references the 1994 work that the original paper on Enterprise Zones mentions

15. Truplaya Fo’Real
    December 22nd, 2004 at 08:49 | #15

I took this test some years ago and scored something fairly liberal in the range of -6/-6ish, but people change, I suppose, for better or for worse, and today I got a “perfect” score of -10/-10. Hmmmm… speaking of a third dimensional axis, I would think some form of progressive/conservative line would be most helpful to people, but of course that would raise the obvious question of where the centre of the line would be, or by whose standards such a thing might be measured.

Has anyone explored the iconochlasms section on the site? I was interested to learn the Dalai Lama was friendly toward the leader of the Supreme Truth cult of Japan… maybe those with simple answers to complex questions belong on the more authoritarian end of the scale.. just a thought.

16. December 22nd, 2004 at 21:15 | #16

Truplaya, that last thought of yours sounds like a simple answer to a complex question to me. Just a thought…