Omnivore

May 16th, 2007

This survey says I’m an Internet Omnivore, but reading the descriptions I’m more of a Lackluster Veteran. I don’t like mobiles/cellphones much, because they’re fiddly and unintuitive, and I only rarely send text messages – I keep forgetting where the space bar is. However, once the iPhone comes out, I expect to be properly omnivorous. (H/T Edumacation* – Also an Omnivore)

* While I’m at it, can anyone point me to the origin of constructions like Edumacation, Journamalism and so on. Wikipedia isn’t much help, and Uncyclopedia’s entry, while edumacational, gives no etymamology.

1. May 16th, 2007 at 08:21 | #1

I would guess the etymology derives from The Simpsons – in one episode, Homer refers to Lisa’s instrument as a ‘saxamaphone’.

2. jquiggin
    May 16th, 2007 at 08:40 | #2

The Simpsons popularized it, but it turns out to be much older as I found out from the crosspost at Crooked Timber.

3. rabee
    May 16th, 2007 at 16:30 | #3

Who said “I’m smart because I’ve got myself a 6th grade edumacation”?

HINT: Jethro

4. lesleym
    May 16th, 2007 at 17:16 | #4

I’m also an omnivore. My age (gracefully says she) is somewhere outside the mean for this group. As is yours also, John. Maybe 8% can only apply to the States (see, I don’t really understand maths much, being a musician and all.)

5. 2 tanners
    May 17th, 2007 at 13:35 | #5

I also rated as an omnivore, but I would characterise myself as a productivity enhancer (although preferably in less poncy language).

As for etymamology, that’s a genuine word although you have mistyped it. Etymammology is the study/process of rooting for a nipple.

6. melanie
    May 17th, 2007 at 22:32 | #6

Everyone’s an Omnivore whatever answer they give it seems. I’m also closere to the poncy ‘productivity enhancer’, though I could also be ‘connected but hassled’. I’m moody.