News

May 21st, 2007

I’ve been at Parliament House in Canberra today, where I’ve just been awarded a second Federation Fellowship. That means another five years of funding for me and my Risk and Sustainable Management research group. We’ll still be working on the problems of the Murray-Darling, but now with a focus on adaptation to climate change. Now it’s back home for a quiet celebratory drink.

Congratulations to all the other Fellows, but especially to my colleague in the agricultural economics profession, Dave Pannell, who will be working on dryland salinity problems, a nice complement to my work focusing on irrigation. It’s a very well deserved award.

Categories: Life in General Tags:
  1. May 22nd, 2007 at 18:05 | #1

Congratulations. Very much deserved. You have worked hard and deserve your success.

I’ll be interested in what you have to say about climate change and the MDB as I am interested in the same. A difficult public policy issue.

2. Ernestine Gross
    May 22nd, 2007 at 18:19 | #2

Congratulations to you and to society, the ultimate beneficiary of your work.

3. Dylwah
    May 22nd, 2007 at 21:05 | #3

Congrats John, while you were in Canberra did you manage to count the lakes? Have you had to change the words to your song again?

4. lesleym
    May 22nd, 2007 at 21:09 | #4

Agree with Harry. Also the MDB deserves it. I did the trip – Killarney to Murray mouth – in 2001 and can’t help but wonder whether the Darling billabongs will end up like the creek at Canowindra 300 million years ago (the one with all the fossil fish.)

5. Peter Wood
    May 22nd, 2007 at 21:21 | #5

Congratulations on the funding – it is supporting very important work. I hope you enjoy your quiet celebratory drink.

6. Jill Rush
    May 22nd, 2007 at 21:37 | #6

Congratulations – it is good to know that there is valuable work occurring on this great river system.

7. SJ
    May 22nd, 2007 at 22:48 | #7

Well done, John. Have one for me.

8. May 23rd, 2007 at 02:42 | #8

Congratulations. Hope that doesn’t crimp your writing rhythms here.

9. James Farrell
    May 23rd, 2007 at 10:14 | #9

That’s wonderful news, John. Congratulations.

10. observa
    May 23rd, 2007 at 11:23 | #10

I wish you luck John and hope it won’t all end up with a few more subsidised rainwater tanks because of more of the usual http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21780215-1702,00.html

11. KYC
    May 23rd, 2007 at 11:54 | #11

Very happy to hear the news. With the testimonials from the IPA, IPE, CIS and Richard Alston, how could you not win?

12. gaddeswarup
    May 23rd, 2007 at 14:25 | #12

Congratulations. We look forward to some posts about the work.

13. melanie
    May 23rd, 2007 at 21:42 | #13

Add my congratulations and keep up the good work!

14. dpannell
    May 24th, 2007 at 17:12 | #14

Thanks for the congratulations John, and congrats to you too! I will actually be branching out a bit from salinity, and delving more into things like biodiversity, environmental pests, and other aspects of water quality. Will be trying to develop simple ways to apply my public benefits:private benefits framework (http://cyllene.uwa.edu.au/~dpannell/dp0601.htm).

By the way, your new, less hirsute style really suits you, I reckon.

15. jstrocch
    May 27th, 2007 at 18:51 | #15

Congratulations Pr Q. Good to see the Howard govt funding good ecological and economical science. Their climate change deniers are obviously asleep on the job!