Home > Oz Politics > Brendan Nelson leaves politics

Brendan Nelson leaves politics

August 27th, 2009

As the recipient of two Federation Fellowships, I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for their originator, Brendan Nelson. So, I thought I’d do a quick post marking his departure from political life. It was his misfortune to be thrust into the job of Opposition Leader, thanks to Peter Costello’s refusal and the unwillingness of his colleagues to accept Malcolm Turnbull. This was just too tough a job for Nelson. Maybe if he’d had a few more years as a minister or frontbencher he would have been ready for this challenge, but as it was, he wasn’t ready and it showed. He’s done the right thing by leaving.

Categories: Oz Politics Tags:
  1. Rationalist
    August 31st, 2009 at 18:46 | #1

@Michael of Summer Hill
    Did you not see my tongue in my cheek?

2. gerard
    August 31st, 2009 at 18:47 | #2

John, I’m at Ipswich campus today. Do all UQ campuses have the same IP address? Can you please take me off auto-mod?

I think I’ve fixed the problem. Give it a try – JQ

3. Michael of Summer Hill
    August 31st, 2009 at 18:53 | #3

Rationalist, what people do in life is their business and if you are inclined that way I could not care less.

4. Rationalist
    August 31st, 2009 at 19:51 | #4

@Michael of Summer Hill
    Well, the fact of the matter is, if someone receives a subsidised education without any plans to use it for the productive good of the nation, then I have every right to be concerned.

5. Michael of Summer Hill
    August 31st, 2009 at 20:04 | #5

Rationalist, unless you can prove that students are handing in work that is not their own then you may have a legitimate case. I know of one particular medical scientist who asked a friend for help and ended up getting a good mark for doing very little. I better stop before I get into trouble.

6. Rationalist
    August 31st, 2009 at 20:09 | #6

@Michael of Summer Hill
    Fair enough. Better luck next time :) .

7. Michael of Summer Hill
    August 31st, 2009 at 20:15 | #7

Rationalist, I get the impression you dream about lollypops 24/7 and love them. Good luck to you.

8. Alice
    August 31st, 2009 at 21:44 | #8

@Rationalist
    Ratio – Moshie and I cant see your tongue in your cheek but we can see the cheek in your tongue… (oh thats a tragic joke lol…).

9. Dr Michael Vaughan
    September 8th, 2009 at 22:24 | #9

Brendan Nelson bowed to the inevitable two weeks ago and surrendered his rock-solid “blue ribbon” seat of Bradfield to an as yet unknown successor. He knew that things were all over for him, that he would never be Prime Minister and that the Party he led for less than a year in Opposition no longer wanted him. The Liberal Party has a simple but ruthless philosophy concerning its leaders – win and you can name your own price, lose and we will drop you as quickly as possible. As a failed Liberal Party leader, Dr Nelson was fully aware of this practice and spared himself further humiliation by going.

Comment pages