Home > Boneheaded stupidity, Economics - General > The vocational education disaster

The vocational education disaster

February 23rd, 2018

The combination of budget cuts and market ideology has been a disaster for vocational education in Australia. That’s the shorter version of a piece for Inside story based on my submission to the SA TAFE Senate inquiry.

Update: On the same day this article appeared, Labor has come out with a call for a major inquiry encompassing both unis and TAFEs. Whether or not my past advocacy had anything to do with this, it’s a welcome outcome.

1. jrkrideau
    February 23rd, 2018 at 21:49 | #1

Err, I’m from Canada, what is a TAFE?

If only Australians spoke English.

2. John Quiggin
    February 23rd, 2018 at 23:30 | #2

(College of) Technical and Further Education. Roughly equivalent to community college in the US, not sure of Canadian equivalent.

3. Ikonoclast
    February 24th, 2018 at 06:50 | #3

If only we spoke English… like they do in Quebec. 😉

4. David Allen
    February 24th, 2018 at 10:52 | #4

A TAFE is where you’d go to train for a trade (plumber,carpenter,electrician,etc). Outcome is commonly a Certificate IV diploma which is just below a Uni degree (I think). TAFE’s also provide training courses for older adults at night. (eg. Solar electrical for electricians expanding their work, etc) Quality is a bit hit and miss from my experience but it is (was) effective. I did a TAFE night course about 15 years ago. Being surrounded by adults with existing industry experience was a real plus.

5. RapidsUsedCars
    February 28th, 2018 at 06:42 | #5

Thank you for your prompt and frank reply. I wish you every success with your projects.

6. March 6th, 2018 at 23:08 | #6

Happy for you dear Sisters of Goa houses..what colourful pictures! Hope Mother”s presence and message went straight to your hearts and will remain as happy memories for a renewed vocational and pastoral journey! Enjoy the rest of her short stay of two days!