Home > Books and culture > Chapters

Chapters

April 26th, 2018

At a certain point in an academic career, you start getting lots of invitations to write book chapters, which is a lot easier than going through the mill of submitting articles to journals, dealing with referee reports and so on. I’ve had three emails in the last few days, telling me that books to which I’ve contributed chapters have come out.

The one of most interest to readers here will be The Coal Truth: The fight to stop Adani, defeat the big polluters and reclaim our democracy by David Ritter, with contributors including Adrian Burragubba, Tara Moss and Berndt Sellheim, Lesley Hughes,Hilary Bambrick, Ruchira Talukdar, Geoffrey Cousins and me. The title is self-explanatory. Although Adani seems to have gone quiet for the moment, this will be an important resource if the Galilee Basin project is revived, or for future struggles.

In addition, there’s the Sage Handbook of Neoliberalism, where I have a chapter on Rise, Decline and Future Prospects, and Human Forces and Engineering, which came out of a final year course for Honours Engineering students, to which I contributed a chapter oh climate change,

Categories: Books and culture Tags:
  1. Ernestine Gross
    April 27th, 2018 at 18:06 | #1

Thanks for this post.

The title Human Forces and Engineering appears useful for MBA courses – the classical MBA program designed for engineering and science professionals to assist them in senior managerial roles.

2. paul walter
    April 28th, 2018 at 11:46 | #2

Never mind. If Adani fails, Palmer reckons he will revive the coalfield next door, despite being neck deep in debt.

But who supports him, or more correctly is pulling his strings? The only thing being pulled is likely peoples legs.

3. rog
    April 28th, 2018 at 12:46 | #3

I would think that one outcome of the Hayne RC will be a strengthening of regulation – just like the US where it was found that a laissez faire financial market is incapable of proper self regulation.

The IPA, who appear to be ignorant of the facts, won’t be happy.

4. Smith
    April 30th, 2018 at 10:37 | #4

Sage Handbook of Neoliberalism

Which costs, according to the link, 120 pounds, or $217 at current exchange rates. (Plus shipping.)

It appears that this book is not just about neoliberalism, but an example of actually existing neoliberalism. Only the rich can afford to buy it.

5. John Quiggin
    April 30th, 2018 at 12:52 | #5

@Smith

These books sell only to libraries, I think.

As an author, I got enough free credit to get a different handbook as well as a single copy of this one.

6. Smith
    April 30th, 2018 at 13:30 | #6

@John Quiggin

I’ll wait until Netflix makes a film of the book.

7. John Quiggin
    April 30th, 2018 at 15:29 | #7

@Smith

I believe they are casting Keanu Reeves as Neoliberalism. I’m hoping I’ll be played by Martin Sheen.

8. Smith
    April 30th, 2018 at 16:15 | #8

@John Quiggin

Sheen’s most famous character did win the economics Nobel Prize. Projection much?